Block anchors on Agags Groove on all pitches?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DizzyVizion 21 Aug 2019

Are there blocks for anchoring and building belays above all of the pitches on Agags Groove?

Sorry, I should have asked this in an earlier post.

DaveHK 21 Aug 2019
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Go do it and find out.  

Post edited at 18:01
OP DizzyVizion 21 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

That's the best answer I could hope for! Done 😁👍

Cog 21 Aug 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I know someone that would like to challenge himself on Craig Minnon, would a week climbing at Black Canyon of the Gunnison help to prepare him for that challenge?

Graeme G 22 Aug 2019
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Given how much info you’re asking on here for this route suggests to me your not ready to climb it.

It’s a mulitpitch route listed in countless guidebooks. There’s plenty of info available in these. If you’re not able to find and set up a range of types of belays confidently then you’re not ready. You need to practice and once you’re confident you can deal with whatever situation you find yourself in, then you might be ready.

It was one of my earliest multi-pitch routes but only after countless days climbing at Auchinstarry, London Hill and other central belt locations. And then a week long course at Glenmore.

Michael Gordon 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

I was thinking the same thing. I mean you need to be able to protect the pitches adequately with nuts and cams, and if you can do that then surely you can build a belay with them?

OP DizzyVizion 22 Aug 2019
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Cheers guys - the guidebooks do all make clear about the blocks for belays above all 4 pitches. My concern really was a comment made about the 4th being quite far back? So could be quite tight for a 40m rope? Building an anchor by other means may then be required, which is fine as it won't be myself leading that pitch.

Apologies - I should have made my concerns clearer. And you're right in that it's a leap to take this route on at the moment - no denying that.

Thanks again for the info 👍

In reply to Michael Gordon:

Thanks Michael. I'm a beginner in most aspects, especially at placing gear. I know the basics, but lacking the practice. My brother who was once an instructor a couple of decades ago, feels I'd be ok leading a pitch. But the opinions of the other experienced climbers would be good to make a balanced decision.

So long as when we arrive at the route I feel fit and fresh, I'm very unlikely to get scared or overawed by the climb ahead. My focus and concentration would be on point. It's great to read the accounts of others who have hit Agags early in their climbing. It's a big temptation to go for it.

In reply to Graeme G:

Thanks Graeme. You're not wrong. The question was asked in the spur of the moment as a thought flashed through my mind about the block on the fourth pitch possibly being too far back for a 40m rope. While at work. Using my phone. Like an idiot 😲

In reply to DizzyVizion:

I feel like that arete on Lammer Wall

Graeme G 22 Aug 2019
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Before knowing what we were meant to do my mates and I climbed something else on the Buchaille. We made so many stupid errors it doesn’t bear remembering. My belay at the top was so bad a bloke near me belaying someone else coming up another route clipped my rope into his belay. He clearly knew we didn’t have a clue.

We we’re lucky.

If you’re worried the belay will be too far back then you need to have the skills to know you can find an alternative.

As always, good luck and be safe. 

In reply to Graeme G:

Hi Graeme, thank you for the sound advice and the account of what happened to you and your mates. Sounds like you had a bit of an experience that day.

We will head for Glen Nevis to climb The Gutter instead. Hopefully it's not too busy when we get there.

Thanks again,

Richard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...