Blackford Quarry, loose blocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BrendanO 26 Jul 2022

Blackford Quarry

Always something loose here; however one of the recent sports routes is looking v dodgy:

You’d Love Index 6a+ now has 2 loose blocks near 3rd bolt, marked with chalk X …these blocks have the two big handholds at this point!!

JMAB 26 Jul 2022
In reply to BrendanO:

About a year back I brought down a large microwave sized block on Route 2, trashing my rope. I think it's just a really chossy crag.

JMAB 27 Jul 2022

In reply to KumKom:

Oh I was on a fixed line alone late at night so the rope below me (what was trashed) wasn't necessary and nobody was around to get hit. I just topped out and gathered up the pieces.

CurlyStevo 27 Jul 2022
In reply to JMAB:

I was going to say the same, it’s quite hard to find any really solid rock there, if you try and wobble almost any hold there is some movement. I went there once to solo some easy routes and literally couldn’t find one I was comfortable soloing at any grade.

Post edited at 06:45
 tlouth7 27 Jul 2022
In reply to BrendanO:

You'd Love Index has been dodgy since it was put up, but good to mark the worst bits.

I'd expect Route 2 to be okay though, in general it is the overlying rock starting at the flake of Route 3 that is poor. The trick on the higher numbered routes is not to pull very hard on anything! Luckily it's a slab so this is feasible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...