Big boot climbing crag around Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris-Ev 14 May 2019

Anyone know of any crags where I can climb in big boots? Training for a future trip to the alps and want to get used to climbing in boots. 

In reply to Chris-Ev:

I don’t know of any where you can’t climb in ‘big boots’

Dan Arkle 14 May 2019
In reply to Chris-Ev:

Indoor walls are actually pretty good for it. 

Be careful on grit crags. It really does cause unnecessary polish and damage to the routes.

Stay off the classics, take a mat/brush to make sure they are clean. 

spenser 14 May 2019
In reply to Chris-Ev:

Some of the ridges around Winnat's Pass would be a reasonable shout along with some of the cloughs on Bleaklow etc (particularly thinking of Wildboar Clough). Otherwise head to North Wales or the Lakes and you have acres of good crags for this purpose.

Tom Valentine 14 May 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I started climbing on Dovestones Edge in big boots. There are plenty of routes enjoyable in that type of footwear. As to polish, if it attracted Stanage type numbers it would be a problem but an islolated visit from someone isn't going to damage much of anything. And absolutely  no-one will complain if you wear your boots in the quarry, Waterfall and Black and White Traverse being perfect big boot routes.

Doug 14 May 2019
In reply to Chris-Ev:

many of us started climbing in 'big boots' - my first climbs were at Frogatt in a pair of Hawkins walking boots and it was a while before I saved enough to buy a pair of EBs

In reply to Chris-Ev:

For near Manchester, I'd say Alderman Rocks would suit your purpose well. Quite a lot of easy routes and scrambles, with a vaguely alpine feel (the style of the climbing).

PS. You could combine with Dovestones; e.g. Dovestones in morning/early afternoon, Alderman in evening.

Post edited at 09:23
 Tom Valentine 14 May 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

That would help with fitness regime

OP Chris-Ev 14 May 2019

Cheers need to get the confidence for climbing alpine routes with big boots will give it a bash in this glorious Manchester weather we got at the moment ☀️☀️

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...