Best single pitch beginners trad crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Iain McTaggart 13 May 2019

My 12 year old niece has recently got into climbing (indoor wall) and is very enthusiastic about it. I would like to take her trad climbing on some easy (VD, S, HS) routes which are single pitch. My non climbing wife will be belaying me from the ground hence why they need to be single pitch. She is learning to belay has no intention of leaving the floor. Will also be on a single rope. My niece doesn't appear to have any fear of heights so exposure isn't an issue.

We live in Northamptonshire and it will be a day trip so I'm thinking maybe Stanage or the Roaches. Anyone have any recommendations please for places and / or routes?

As I will be the only climber in the group a top rope rescue is out of the question.

Many thanks.

tehmarks 13 May 2019
In reply to Iain McTaggart:

Burbage North is a fantastic beginner crag, and can often be surprisingly quiet compared to Popular, Froggatt, Birchen, etc.

full stottie 13 May 2019

Windgather is a good option

Dave

Windgather Rocks

Mehmet Karatay 13 May 2019

If it's not too far for you:  Windgather Rocks

Mehmet

olddirtydoggy 13 May 2019

Yarncliffe is very good. Ant wall is quite high but very easy.

Good luck, Iain ! If I think of somewhere I’ll let you know !

Rich

Cake 14 May 2019

Windgather is great for the family-friendly feeling, low exposure, low height and that kind of stuff that my younger family (under 9 y.o.) all like. However, for a bit more of a sense of adventure Stanage is hard to beat for beginners (although not actually more adventurous). It has really easy quality routes of 16 metres and more. 

If you're going to make the trip, you may as well get that bit more quality imho

Paul Hy 14 May 2019

Harborough Rocks easyish walk in to the Limestone crag. with view spoilt by the factory. easy to set up toprope anchors. but can be busy.  

GrahamD 14 May 2019

Stanage or the Roaches are both great choices and really nice places to visit in their own right.  Best invest in a guidebook, I'd say.  Peak district guidebooks will get a lot of use.

nuts and bolts 14 May 2019

Another vote for Wingather. 

Castle Naze also worth a visit

Birchen Edge is popular for this, and for good reason. The belay options are generally better than at Windgather too.

T.

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

+ 1 for Birchen Edge 

Definitely better than Windgather 

Jamie Wakeham 14 May 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

... although a 12 year old novice climber might prefer the getting-off-the-ground moves at Windgather! 

stevieb 14 May 2019

All the obvious peak options have been listed. One possible advantage of Harborough, is that an indoor climber like your niece might like the holds more than the gritstone options.

In reply to tehmarks:

I was there on Friday with OffWidth and BuxtonCoffeeLover and we were the only people there. 

Martin Hore 14 May 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> + 1 for Birchen Edge 

> Definitely better than Windgather 

Couldn't disagree more

After many visits to Windgather, and to the alternatives for a first time trad crag, I'd now go for Windgather every time. Friendly rock angle with lots of incut holds, lots of gear placements for a first time lead, top anchors which really teach you how to use trad gear, and lots of good quality routes in the easier grades lined up alongside each other. (Oh, and honest grades with none of Birchen's sandbag first moves).

Martin

Pbob 14 May 2019
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Nice, straightforward, short routes at Lawrencefield too.

Iain McTaggart 16 May 2019

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I think we’re going to go to Stanage. Lots of routes, easy to find quieter areas, bit higher than some of the other crags suggested and a bit of nostalgia for me.

Offwidth 16 May 2019

I'd recommend Windgather as my favourite and ideal for what you want: very short approach, loads of routes, good holds, climbing not very affected by polish... maybe too far to drive. Stanage is good away from the popular bit of the Popular End... the left of the Popular End and the right of the Plantation has a great collection of nice routes. Burbage North is mostly too polished. Birchen has too many hard starts. Roaches is too polished and crowded but the Skyline is good in parts. Froggatt mostly too crowded. Yarncliffe sandy and not good for TR given eroding tops and has nasty ants. Wharncliffe is very good especially around Black Slab and just as quick from the M1 as Stanage as long as the traffic is flowing. Baslow is very good but best when the bilberries are out. For quiet away from it all lower grade adventure Dovestones Edge in the Chew (a long way for you) is maybe the loveliest. On limestone, Harborough rocks is a bit grim at times with the factory and a bit steep, fingery and polished.... I much prefer Pleasley Vale for beginner routes which is a quicker option for you but stick to classics to avoid loose rock there.

robert-hutton 16 May 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

Try Harborough Rocks it's limestone so loads of holds which will help anyone new to outdoor climbing, plus a great family day out take a picnic if the weather is nice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...