Best peak sport for low to mid 6s?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 higgywins 03 Sep 2019

Masson Lees is awesome and only 20 mins from our house, but we've pretty much climbed everything within our limits there now (4 to 6b+). Does anyone have any suggestions on where else to try next? 

We've done horseshoe a couple of times and weren't the biggest fans, done Harpur Hill a couple of times too and whilst I'd say it's better than Horseshoe, we definitely preferred Masson, so has anyone got any suggestions on where to try this weekend or a place similar to Masson if that exists?

We were thinking about maybe Slaley Brook or Stoney West if they're worthwhile?

johncook 03 Sep 2019
In reply to higgywins:

Intake has a range off routes in your grade, if it is a decent day go on Darkness Walls, loads of amazing routes in the grade. At 6a El Sergio is the route of the crag, but a 70m rope is essential. 

Slaley may be on the harder end of your range.

If Harpur Hill try college buttress since Gary cleaned, added and re-bolted. 

Go on Gary's site and look for what suits your aspirations. There are plenty to chose from.

Horseshoe is best avoided, especially at weekends.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Sep 2019
In reply to higgywins:

Moss Rake would be worth a day or maybe two - unusual slabby routes right in your range grade - check Gary's site,

Chris

Bulls Crack 03 Sep 2019
In reply to johncook:

>

> Horseshoe is best avoided, especially at weekends.

And weekdays

Paul16 04 Sep 2019
In reply to higgywins:

Moss Rake has been mentioned, also have a look at Pin Dale for those grades.

Whealiebob 04 Sep 2019
In reply to higgywins:

Stoney West's main wall is really good, although the best routes are 6b-6c. If you're local to Masson then Colehill in Wirksworth is definitely worth a trip and there's some good stuff on the right wing of High Tor (although again Upper end of your grade range). 

Had an evening at Moss Rake recently and really enjoyed it. Get there before it gets too polished!

At your grades the Sanctuary area of Harpur is also worth a trip 

Mark1 04 Sep 2019
In reply to higgywins:

The routes on Swap wall area and Two Tier in water cum jolly would fit the bill.Well bolted and in a really pleasent location.The rock on Two Tier is immaculate.As above ,details on garys site Sport climbs.

OP higgywins 05 Sep 2019
In reply to higgywins:

Thanks all for suggestions. Moss rake does look worth a visit I'd missed that one.

Has anyone been to Intake or Colehill recently and had any issues? I know on their UKC crag pages there are access issues but does look to have been some recent ascents ticked. Will likely try one of them at the weekend.

Whealiebob 05 Sep 2019
In reply to higgywins:

Both are absolutely fine, I live 5 minutes walk from Colehill and go regularly. It's no access because of insurance rather than landowners actively discouraging climbing

AlanLittle 05 Sep 2019
In reply to Whealiebob:

> Stoney West's main wall is really good

I wouldn't quite go that far  but it's certainly worth a visit or two.

ALF_BELF 05 Sep 2019
In reply to higgywins:

Was at Intake last week and no access issues, lots of loose rock though that makes ya shit ya kecks!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...