Best Peak District scrambles ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey I’m wondering if there is any nice grade 2 scrambles in the Peak District I seen one called wild blough Clough if anyone has any info on what that’s like it would be appreciated but is there any other ones ?

In reply to Cneifion Arête:

Fill yer boots:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/set.php?id=1007

And the guidebook the list is drawn from:

https://www.cicerone.co.uk/scrambles-in-the-dark-peak-second

a steal at just over a tenner. Even covers winter route options, so you can join in the annual ‘is it in yet?’ debates...

Donotello 17 Jul 2020

This is a climbing forum, there is a forum for hillwalking. This forum has started to be a nause of late as half the posts are from you asking about scrambling. 

In reply to Donotello:

Scrambling Is climbing 

Andy Hardy 17 Jul 2020

And just how many eggs have you climbed?

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Wdum why is no one taking me serious 

Donotello 18 Jul 2020

> Scrambling Is climbing 

Are you sure about that as you seem unsure about everything else, such as if water makes things wet. 

Offwidth 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Donotello:

As a climbing guidebook editor I see grade 2 scrambles as Easy or sometimes Mod graded rock climbs. There is clearly an overlap of interest for climbers and hillwalkers.

Post edited at 09:32
 Lankyman 18 Jul 2020

> Hey I’m wondering if there is any nice grade 2 scrambles in the Peak District I seen one called wild blough Clough if anyone has any info on what that’s like it would be appreciated but is there any other ones ?

There's a few on a hill called Mam Tor.

Lankyman 18 Jul 2020

> Wdum why is no one taking me serious 

What's a 'Wdum'?

Offwidth 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Nothing on Mam Tor is worth doing outside winter conditions, unless the scrambler has a fetish for loose rock. 

A friend of mine recovering from a shoulder injury had a plan to scramble most of the Stanage Popular End descents and the odd easier mod yesterday...  must find out how he got on.

Andy Hardy 18 Jul 2020

Because all your posts are variations on the same basic theme?

Offwidth 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

So what? Isn't he just our latest enthusiast?

C Witter 18 Jul 2020

Quite a lot of people think you're a joke account rather than a real person, because you keep asking so many questions. Maybe write something on your profile to explain who you are.

Red Rover 18 Jul 2020

Wilderness Gully East in the Chew Valley is in in opinion the best scramble in the Peak if the water levels are good (how you define good is up to you).

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/wilderness_rocks-1335/wilderness_g...

Post edited at 10:31
 d_b 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

I found scrambling/soloing on Mam Tor an extremely engaging experience that had little to do with technical difficulty. The special quality of the rock lent a sense of immediacy not found elsewhere, and I felt all the stresses of life melt away as I was consumed by the task at hand.

Definitely a three skull day out.

Offwidth 18 Jul 2020
In reply to d_b:

Enjoyed by quite a few.... yet the gully is not a scamble I would recommend to anyone without your wise warnings and the other lines are loose climbs.

In reply to Red Rover:

Thank you what does grade m mean 

tehmarks 18 Jul 2020

Because you're doing everyone's nut in.

Andy Hardy 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

> So what? Isn't he just our latest enthusiast?

I don't know, no profile, an unusual use of language very limited range o subject matter. It's like replying to a well written bot.

Lankyman 18 Jul 2020

> Hey I’m wondering if there is any nice grade 2 scrambles in the Peak District I seen one called wild blough Clough if anyone has any info on what that’s like it would be appreciated but is there any other ones ?

Oh God, I give in! I've no idea what 'wild blough Clough' is like but it's probably identical to a Grade 1+ on Tryfan called Main Gully and yes, it is probably harder when wet. Now, does that answer every question for you?

Offwidth 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

You're assuming the profile of a new poster would match those of some long standing regulars; when some other long standing regulars have nothing more. All I see is keeness. Why would you assume bogus posting as a starting position? The default should be friendly support.

I remember when Sav came along and the flack he took, as being bogus, despite being a very real disabled climber who's posting style is completely understandable when you meet him. I defended him from the start and ended up ashamed of the majority on UKC who were attacking him.

Fellover 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

>A friend of mine recovering from a shoulder injury had a plan to scramble most of the Stanage Popular End descents and the odd easier mod yesterday...  must find out how he got on.

Pretty sure I met him at Birchen doing some of the 'caving' routes, seemed to be getting on well.

Post edited at 14:23
 Offwidth 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Fellover:

He had a good day and I had a chat with him on the phone this morning after I posed here: about the comparator difficulty of Stanage descent routes as upward scrambles.

He said he was put off a bit by a climbing accidient on Mississippi Buttress. I think he may have called in on Birchen on the way home.

marktrik 18 Jul 2020

Wild boar clough above torrside car park (woodhead) is fun, a little committing but not to bad. They to go when its dry as it is a stream/river or maybe a waterfall. Also there is shining clough a couple of miles away, I looked them opted for wildbord....

https://www.ukscrambles.com/peak-district-scrambles/shining-clough/

Have a look at Crowden clough https://www.ukscrambles.com/peak-district-scrambles/crowden-clough/ 

And theres plenty of options on the other side of kinder scout, Fairbrook naze etc...

Enjoy.

Andy Hardy 18 Jul 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

I am neither attacking nor defending him. I never got the impression that mountain spirit was anything other than a genuine human being. Maybe AEIB is a genuinely keen beginner, and it's my response to a non-standard posting style which is the problem. More profile wouldn't hurt though...

peppermill 18 Jul 2020

Invest in a couple of guidebooks dude! Will give you the basic info and maybe a star system to give you an idea of whether things are worth doing!

When it comes to scrambling an experienced climber's "Pure Pish" can be a hill walker's mega day out, it's all relative.

An example of this would be Jack's Rake in the Lakes. Amazing, mildly terrifying adventure for a lot of walkers but to many climbers it's the polished, pain in the arse descent path from Pavey.

Post edited at 16:54
 cwarby 19 Jul 2020
In reply to peppermill:

It's hard to believe so many have suggested guidebooks and still the questions come. Even had the comment on a previous thread, the Steve Ashton one "doesn't give enough info". Christ.

Did a quick Google of Wild Boar Clough and found numerous videos as well. AEITB, perhaps give this a go. Try searching peak District scrambles, pleeeeaaase!

deacondeacon 19 Jul 2020

My favourite scrambles in the Peak are Matterhorn Ridge and Elbow Ridge in Winnats pass. Always nice to go scrambling and not being in a dirty clough. 

Red Rover 19 Jul 2020

No problem. The grade M stands for Moderate which means it is actually not a scramble, it is a rock climb. Scrambles go grade 1,2,3 and if it's harder than grade 3 is gets grade M. So Wilderness gully might not be a good idea then as it's supposedly harder than any scramble. I never realised it got grade M I assumed it was a scramble.

d_b 19 Jul 2020
In reply to deacondeacon:

I concur but I would say that Matterhorn ridge would probably be a bit much for someone new to scrambling. It gets VD in the climbing guides.

Elbow ridge is much more amenable, maybe grade 2-3?

In reply to Red Rover:

Not sure that it’s as clear-cut as that. There’s an overlap between grade 3 scrambles and moderate climbs, with the same route getting graded as a scramble or climb depending on whether it’s a scrambling guidebook or climbing guidebook eg curved ridge. 

Red Rover 19 Jul 2020
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Fair enough but I was mainly warning the OP that the guly is likely to feel hard and be a bit dangerous if they are more used to clear-cut scrambles.

Offwidth 19 Jul 2020
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Thee are scrambles which might be fairly technical but protectable VD in climbing terms. Broad Stand is an obvious example. In contrast to the continuum Red Rover suggested most grade 3 scrambles will be Moderate climbs and any 3S scramble will be at least Moderate and some quite a bit harder. Easy is also a climbing grade... High Neb Gully is a gritstone example. As a climber I would regard soloing some HS climbs I know well as safer for me than some vegetated and loose 3S scrambles on Lliwedd.

Post edited at 13:24
 Red Rover 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

I didn't know that, I thought all climbs were supposed to be harder than all scrambles. Explains why I've been so scared on some dirty 3S scrambles!

peppermill 19 Jul 2020
In reply to cwarby:

All I sense from the guy is keenness (is that a word?), inexperience and I'm sensing a bit of frustration. Maybe lack of transport or people to head out with so he can't just get on and go. 

cwarby 19 Jul 2020
In reply to peppermill:

Possibly so and fair enough. I think it's the lack of genuine conversation with those offering help and the daft comebacks. If I was keen, and I am in what I'm trying to do, then  accept help and maybe meet up with people. I've done that on ukc, learnt stuff and got better. The grades irrelevant, it's the attitude that matters.

sambamlam 19 Jul 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

A lot of very frustrated grown ups on here need somewhere to vent...blame it on lock down

Kevster 19 Jul 2020

I was in the naive belief that the peaks wasn't erm.... hilly enough. ... for any thing that resembled a sensible scramble. Just a few slogs to the top, scary limestone choss fests, dank and waterfall ridden creases interspersed with some rather delightful picnic spots, well made trails and the occasional crag. Ah, missed the pubs.

But scrambles, totally off the radar, probably embarrasingly so. 

Hope you have fun, just be safe. Post some photos too please. 

In reply to Lankyman:

Wdum means what do you mean 

neuromancer 13 Aug 2020

Because you're obviously a regular bored and trolling the forum, albeit rather effectively.

Lankyman 13 Aug 2020

> Wdum means what do you mean 

Why not just say so? Perhaps you might be taken more seriously if you didn't use 'text-speak' like they may well do on platforms aimed at adolescents?

In reply to neuromancer:

I’m not a troll I swear down on my life 

Kevster 16 Aug 2020

From the north east? 

Swear down is something of a regional saying, 

Tom Valentine 16 Aug 2020
In reply to Kevster:

In use in the People's Republic, especially among young schoolboys who've been caught up to no good.

In reply to Kevster:

Not always a religious term people use it like promise 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...