Best Multipitch Diff Routes in North Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Any suggestions? cheers

CantClimbTom 19 May 2021
In reply to climberclimber321:

I'll start the bidding with Direct Route on the Milestone Buttress. 

I'm interpreting VD as in scope not just specifically D as I think that'd be so narrow as to be ridiculous (and miss some fine routes). On that same approach, if there was a particularly classic Grade 3* scramble (formerly graded "M") would those also be worth suggesting on a list of "Diff" routes?

Post edited at 14:12
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Diff or bellow preferably! Moderate suggestions welcome. I know there's Pinnacle Rib Route on Tryfan but anything similar to that?

tehmarks 19 May 2021

Either of the Pinnacle Rib routes on Tryfan are good fun. The classics on the Cromlech are also well worth doing, with low-stress climbing in excellent situations.

Direct Route on Milestone felt nails for v diff (the first pitch specifically), but maybe that's just me!

RobAJones 19 May 2021

Ordinary route on Idwal slabs, Cneifion Arete and then Dolmen Ridge up glyder Fach was a really enjoyable combination. 

Dave Garnett 19 May 2021

Atlantic Slab (Grade-3) is a belter.  Easy angled, but quite exposed and really big!

Cyfrwy arete via table direct

CantClimbTom 19 May 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I don't know whether to upvote that suggestion as it's a lovely scramble (that for many it may benefit from rope)

Or give it a downvote and sh*tty post response. I haven't been there a while and really fancy heading up there as soon as able for a nice quiet wander but it seems from several posts here and even one on a caving website that the masses have "discovered" it. Steve Ashton excluded it from his scrambles in Snowdonia book, but the secret is out

I think I need to start a spurious rumour about asbestos deposits or something in the grit to scare people away. 

http://mountain-lifestyle.blogspot.com/2014/09/atlantic-slabs-carnedd-y-fil...

OP, it's an awful scramble, mostly on dangerously loose asbestos and uranium ore. You'll hate it. Just keep away

Post edited at 14:45
 Myfyr Tomos 19 May 2021
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Another one for Cyfrwy Arete and the Direct.

C Witter 19 May 2021

Clogwyn y Person Arete?

Dave Garnett 19 May 2021
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> OP, it's an awful scramble, mostly on dangerously loose asbestos and uranium ore. You'll hate it. Just keep away

It's not listed under this name in the CC guide, and the photo in the logbook entry here is of the wrong bit of the crag, so the spirit of adventure isn't dead!

There's a whole slab to the left if you fancy peace and quiet... and even more adventure! 

Sean Kelly 19 May 2021

Bryant's Gully, Lockwood's Chimney and Flying Buttress are 3 that come to mind. Symphony  Crack at Rhoscolyn is only one pitch but a belter at Diff!

Outside edge route

Red Rover 19 May 2021

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but Slanting Buttress Ridge Route (D) is fantastic. Easilly the best Diff I've ever done.

l21bjd 19 May 2021
In reply to JJ Krammerhead III:

> Outside edge route

Is that still best avoided?

In reply to l21bjd:

Ah sorry all, had no idea anything had happened to the route, been a few years since I was in Wales. Should keep me mouth shut. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...