Best campsites in the Llanberis/Ogwen area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 laughitup 20 May 2021

Now the world is opening up it's time to get planning some summer fun. Anyone got any suggestions for best places to camp in the Llanberis/Ogwen area. Don't need fancy facilities just friendly and good access to the pass classics, Idwal slabs etc

Cake 20 May 2021
In reply to laughitup:

Near Tryfan, Gwern Gof Isaf is nicer than Gwern Gof Uchaf in my opinion. Both prone to bogginess, I think

beardy mike 20 May 2021
In reply to laughitup:

If you end up in Nant Peris (has the Vaynol Arms which is a decent boozer) there are two campsites directly opposite. The one on the left is a bit of a dive, the one on the right is much nicer with better facilities. Still rudimentary but you tend to get less large groups in that one.

Mark Haward 21 May 2021
In reply to laughitup:

I often use this campsite:

Challoner Caravan Park
Erw Hywel Farm
Llanberris Rd
Llanrug
Caernarfon
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL55 2AJ
Tel: 01286 672985  or  07760652035

Being just outside the mountains the weather is usually better and access to the Pass, Ogwen, Tremadog and Gogarth is easy. Fairly basic but with showers, electrics if you want it. The owner, Sue, is lovely.

planetmarshall 21 May 2021
In reply to Cake:

> Near Tryfan, Gwern Gof Isaf is nicer than Gwern Gof Uchaf in my opinion. Both prone to bogginess, I think

One of them appears to be solely run by a large ginger cat, so I usually go to that one.

Cake 21 May 2021
In reply to planetmarshall:

I don't get it. Perhaps my Welsh was incorrect. Anyway, the Isaf one would be good if you want to do anything on Tryfan without having to find a space in the lay-bys.

Plasynant 23 May 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Campsite directly facing the Vaynol is closed for this year . The one to the right will open . 

pyn

Neil Williams 23 May 2021
In reply to planetmarshall:

> One of them appears to be solely run by a large ginger cat, so I usually go to that one.

Isaf, I think.  I've caught it sneaking in my tent through the air vent with its head in the bag of cheese!

They both used to be very similar but Isaf has gone a bit more upmarket (e.g. with glamping options) and can be funny about groups, even fairly small ones.  If a single family, up to maybe 5 individuals or on your own it's probably the better of the two, though. (They seem to keep changing the group size they accept, or did for a while anyway, and did apply whatever number they used very strictly, yet it isn't published on their website for some reason)

Post edited at 08:52
 tehmarks 24 May 2021
In reply to laughitup:

I quite like the Bryn Tyrch. Ran by the most laid-back and friendly of farmers, £4/night, basic toilet block, coin-operated shower, doesn't take advance bookings. And next to both the Model Siabod cafe and an inn. And a ten minute walk from the Tyn y Coed, which is a cracking pub with a cracking whisky shelf 

rsc 24 May 2021
In reply to tehmarks:

I like this one too, but it might be the last campsite in the world where you have to provide your own toilet paper: be warned!

elliot.baker 24 May 2021
In reply to Cake:

Surely you mean Uchaf? That's the closest one. I've never stayed at Isaf, but Uchaf several times - one of those places you hope people don't find out about for me.  

Sean Kelly 24 May 2021
In reply to Plasynant:

> Campsite directly facing the Vaynol is closed for this year .

Any idea why it should be closed? Are Rhian and Merrion still there?

Plasynant 24 May 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

They are still there Sean, but both a poorly . Not sure it will ever re-open . 

pyn

Sean Kelly 25 May 2021
In reply to Plasynant:

I half suspected that. I mean Merrion must be in his 90's. I thought one of their daughters would have handled the camping though. But nothing lasts forever.

Post edited at 07:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...