Best beginner trad course (midlands)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Imedio 13 Dec 2018

Hello everyone. I have really enjoyed my last year of sport climbing and bouldering. With that said I now want to try my hands at some trad but are unable to learn from someone I know. My question is does anyone know of any good courses that teach the basics of trad climbing? 

Regards jack

andi turner 13 Dec 2018
In reply to Imedio:

Hi,

I will be running the Rock Skills courses from January if they’re of interest to you? I generally operate around the Roaches area.

There’s a bit more information here:

http://www.mountain-training.org/climbing/skills-and-awards/rock-skills

cheers,

Andi

crimpsoplenty 13 Dec 2018
In reply to Imedio:

Not sure where in the Midlands you climb but redpoint Birmingham offer trad courses. I'm based in the midlands and trad climb so you are more than welcome to come out with us one day and second some routes although someone with a little more experience is probably better placed to show you how to lead trad. 

Andy Hemsted 14 Dec 2018
In reply to Imedio:

I am the climbing secretary of the Cave & Crag Club. We are based in Birmingham, climb on Wednesdays at Redpoint, and climb trad once the weather is warmer. You'd be welcome to join us; get in touch if you'd like more details.

We don't give professional tuition, of course; you'd need to look around for that.

Andy

Polechick 15 Dec 2018
In reply to Imedio:

Hi Jack, I have been teaching rock climbing for over 20 years, been an MIA for 8 years and have just become a Provider of Rock Skills learn to lead trad. You can check me out on www.monsterclimbs.com 

Cheers Miss Ali Taylor 

Sam Mayfield 16 Dec 2018
In reply to Imedio:

Jack, if you want to learn in the sunshine in Spain check out our courses which include accommodation. We have one each month.

http://theorangehouse.co.uk/learn-traditional-climbing/

Sam Orange House 

OP Imedio 17 Dec 2018
In reply to Imedio:

What a response! Thank you all so much. I do in fact climb at red point (irregularly) as my location is just outside of Wolverhampton. I could perhaps meet some of you at red point one of the wednesdays or another time for a chat.

and I am looking through corses now so big thank you to Andy and Ali 

GStone 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Imedio:

Plas y brenin

not local, but in an area where there is a wealth of different climbing. I would thoroughly recommend having done the week long lead course a few years ago.

jezb1 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Imedio:

www.ami.org.uk has a list of appropriately qualified and experienced people who can teach you to lead climb.

Enjoy! Opens up a world of fun

nutme 18 Dec 2018

If you don't have climbing partner who wants to pick up trad climbing with you it may be not the greatest idea to go for course. What and with whom will you climb after?

If you will go to climb with someone more experienced what person will teach you all you need as long as you can belay to start with. You will be able to pick up skills as you go and progress gradually. Most of the time you will start by single pitch with belays from below. A bit of gear retrieval and belaying from the top after that. Simple anchors and pro. Hanging belays and rappels. After what it may be worth paying for few days with instructor to work on your gear placements because many leaders have bad habits and often go for runouts. If you will get hooked on trad you may progress to alpine or big walls. Again learning from people as you go.

If you have time go to Orange House in Spain or Camp 4 in Yosemite and hang out with people. It's surprisingly easy to find people to climb with, learn a lot and have a good time. Joining local climbing club can be an option as well. To formal for my taste, but work for many people.

slab_happy 18 Dec 2018
In reply to nutme:

> If you don't have climbing partner who wants to pick up trad climbing with you it may be not the greatest idea to go for course.

I have to say that it worked fine for me!

>What and with whom will you climb after?

I joined a club and also found assorted partners on UKC.

> If you will go to climb with someone more experienced what person will teach you all you need as long as you can belay to start with.

There are definitely lots of people out there who are happy to mentor and support newbie trad climbers, but that's different from expecting them to teach someone from scratch.

In my experience, it's a lot easier to find trad partners if you're inexperienced but have some basic knowledge, versus looking for people who'll be happy to spend their climbing time tutoring you for free.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...