Belly full of bad berries a new style

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Message Removed 07 Feb 2023
Reason: inappropriate content
 Holdtickler 07 Feb 2023

In reply to Fraser:

Come on! Anyone who can make an incredible ascent like that has the right to scream whatever they like. I thought it was truly amazing how she kept such a calm composure. Hands free on a knee lock and calmed herself with her breathing. What a head game on top of all that technique and endurance!

Removed User 07 Feb 2023
In reply to Holdtickler:

Sassy as ferk. What an awesome performance. I learnt some new climbing terminology also.

DaveHK 08 Feb 2023
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Disappointed this isn't a dry tooling video. 😉

Michael Hood 08 Feb 2023
In reply to CurlyStevo:

The climbing on Bellyfull is always impressive, the film-making, less so.

Obviously there's usually a cameraperson at the top (*), but on any cliff views, the cameraperson has disappeared.

Either the film has been made on several (climbing) takes, or the cameraperson has been edited out. Either way I find that a little annoying and unsatisfactory.

* - is there a second pitch or is it relatively easy, and how does the cameraperson get in there under a considerable roof.

steveriley 08 Feb 2023
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I can relate to this, I once placed the same cam 3 times on Brown's Crack at Bamford. That's the same yes

mike123 08 Feb 2023
In reply to CurlyStevo: somebody replies saying they did nt like this (fair enough ) , I reply saying I think it’s excellent , both posts deleted . Weird ? 

JLS 08 Feb 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

My guess is the long shots were filmed on the warm-up (with rests) burn. Once the climber had reached the belay fixed lines were installed for the cameraman to jug up into position. Stripping the gear for fresh tries must have been a ball-ache.

TobyA 08 Feb 2023
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I'm interested in just how fat she made her hands between the gloves and taping. I don't think there is anything wrong with it - just like picking different types of shoes for different routes I guess - but she clearly doesn't need to really hold anything on the route in a normal style, because the amount of thickness over her palms must make holding even a jug quite tricky!

Iamgregp 08 Feb 2023

*Camera operator 

Nobody calls them cameraperson. 

Michael Hood 08 Feb 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> *Camera operator 

> Nobody calls them cameraperson. 

Thank you, even though on this film it appeared to be a cameraman, I didn't want to generalise but couldn't think of the appropriate words.

Iamgregp 08 Feb 2023

No worries!

I work in television and it’s nice to see that the gender specific terms have become a thing of the past - soundman cameraman etc.  There’s now lots of support to get more women into these types of roles too.  Technical areas used to be horrible pits of misogyny when I started out.

Good on you for not using the engendered term!

duchessofmalfi 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

What is that left hand hold at 4:40?

JLS 09 Feb 2023
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

>"What is that left hand hold at 4:40?"

She was just checking the cam was seated properly.  

LeeWood 09 Feb 2023
In reply to steveriley:

the pitch seems to be well protected, but reaching in (hand or foot) between the gear would tie a lesser mortal in knots; shifting the pro upwards must simplify

OP CurlyStevo 10 Feb 2023

Impossible to tell really, but it does look a bit sus, there is a small ledge there too but doesn't look that useful for hands?

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt myself

Post edited at 17:56
 FactorXXX 10 Feb 2023

> What is that left hand hold at 4:40?

If we assume that it was filmed from different angles at different times, then maybe it's a bit of footage from a previous attempt and not from the subsequent clean ascent?

JLS 10 Feb 2023
In reply to FactorXXX:

> If we assume that it was filmed from different angles at different times, then maybe it's a bit of footage from a previous attempt and not from the subsequent clean ascent?

I suspect that’s all it was.

In reply to FactorXXX:

Or just moving her hand to get the foot in more easily and crimping/pressing the outside of the crack as a marginal intermediate hold. 

Moving the hand looks like it brings her left hip slightly further away from the crack and gives a little more room to get the leg up and in. Doesn’t look suspicious to me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...