Barefoot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Valentine 15 Jun 2020

Given the amount of concern about climbing grit in the wet and a well established climbing trend for stunts such as wearing roller skates or not using your hands ------

what is the hardest route ever climbed barefoot? 

Post edited at 19:42
 Lhod 15 Jun 2020
 Rob Parsons 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

There was a thread here about barefoot climbing a few years back - take a look at https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/notable_climbs_done_barefoot-61...

OP Tom Valentine 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Thanks for all the input - loads to look at.

Looks like there's a substantial legacy for this type of ascent. 

Siward 15 Jun 2020

Does it still count as barefoot if wearing crampons? 

In reply to Siward:

No, purposely cultivated toenails should do the job, though you couldn't get as far as twelvepointing unless your family had a history of incest.

Dave Hewitt 15 Jun 2020

The St Kildan natives would have climbed some pretty hard stuff barefoot while catching things to eat.

In reply to Dave Hewitt:

I thought they were mostly top ropers though.......

Dr Toph 15 Jun 2020

Most Czech sandstone routes. Nuff said.

In reply to Dr Toph:

Good point.

Are we getting near a grade yet?

petenebo 15 Jun 2020

Not terribly hard but I soloed Embankment 1 (Pitch 1) barefoot in my younger days. I was gobbing off, saying it wasn't hard and someone jeered so I bet my 3 or 4 mates a pint each. I think they'd rather I'd fallen off...

wilkie14c 15 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

Twins or monos? 

OP Tom Valentine 16 Jun 2020
In reply to petenebo:

I'm impressed, anyway. Was it painful?

Iamgregp 16 Jun 2020

Had the pleasure of climbing with this guy in Vietnam https://www.outsideonline.com/2043921/meet-vu-nguyen-worlds-best-barefoot-c...

Though to be fair he didn't climb anything barefoot when we were there - he keeps his flip flops om for anything up to 7a.  I think he might also be the worlds best climber in flip flops.

Post edited at 11:41
In reply to Iamgregp:

A Scottish climber whose nickname was "Gallows" -Jimmy Houston I think received this name for a reputed solo ascent of Gallows Route E2 on the Buachaille in wellies  Shame Norrie Muir is no longer with us as I think he had more details

profitofdoom 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Had the pleasure of climbing with this guy in Vietnam https://www.outsideonline.com/2043921/meet-vu-nguyen-worlds-best-barefoot-c...

Thanks. The article says Vu Nguyen climbed a 5.13 route barefoot, so there's a grade

petenebo 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

Sorry, don't recall. It was around 40 years ago. I suspect it may not have been too bad compared to the size 42 EB's I used to get into (46, these days)

Iamgregp 16 Jun 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

He’s probably one of only a few climbers in the world who is more prefers not wearing shoes to wearing them. I heard he once entered a competition in Hanoi but they made him wear shoes so he didn’t do so great.  

Removed User 16 Jun 2020

E3 6a on a top rope at Roslyn Glen.

I'd forgotten my rock shoes and alternated between a pair of Cat boots and bare feet. Both were unsatisfactory but in different ways.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...