Bamford Edge 1300ft

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

1,312ft off the ground to be precise! 

Lovely (very manly) pic of Mr Hutton though  

tehmarks 06 Dec 2018

At long last, the long grit multipitch we've been looking for.

john arran 06 Dec 2018

I think they should quote British peak heights in inches - then they would sound even more impressive!

deepsoup 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Justsomeclimber:

> 1,312ft off the ground to be precise! 

If what you mean by "the ground" is mean sea level.  (Which doesn't seem very precise to me!)

Sean_J 06 Dec 2018

If it encourages other Daily Mail readers to go out and try and replicate it for themselves, then i'm all for this article

Hat Dude 06 Dec 2018

I'm really impressed that he managed to take off his T-shirt while doing it

Shani 06 Dec 2018

That is exactly what is wrong with mainstream journalism - and wanky outlets like the Mail in particular. No research. No context. No verification or investigation.

Pure clickbait.

At least they called it a temperature inversion.

In reply to Shani:

> That is exactly what is wrong with mainstream journalism - and wanky outlets like the Mail in particular. No research. No context. No verification or investigation.

> Pure clickbait.

Totally agree. What it does though is make you realise that everything else they write must be as garbage as this article. When it comes to politics though it’s deeply worrying that people source their ‘news ‘ and ‘facts’ from places like the Daily Mail.

olddirtydoggy 06 Dec 2018

According to UKC log here there are currently 1966 daredevil climbers who have ascended this mighty beast to date and I am one of them. Wondering if I should inform the DM of my prowess?

John Ww 06 Dec 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Would it be wrong of me to add #metoo?

Shani 06 Dec 2018

> What it does though is make you realise that everything else they write must be as garbage as this article.

My thoughts exactly. This story has recalibrated my Daily Mail Bullshitometer.

Jim Hamilton 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Shani:

It's not that bad! so they've used his altitude figure incorrectly, at least they published his pictures.  It's not as though they said he was climbing in The Peaks.   

Jim Lancs 06 Dec 2018
In reply to Shani: > My thoughts exactly. This story has recalibrated my Daily Mail Bullshitometer.

Oh come now, at least they managed to call it The Peak District, which is better than some on here can manage.

Michael Hood 07 Dec 2018

I've got to agree with the DM, I was truly astonished. I couldn't believe how brave he was.

Got to pop some stuff into the mother in law later. She gets the DM (we have mercilessly teased her about this over the years). I will check to see if this carp is in the printed version as well.

Trangia 07 Dec 2018

Truly amazing! The big question is how did he get down again? 

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Trangia:

> Truly amazing! The big question is how did he get down again? 

Well that is obvious - "round the back",

Chris

Rob Parsons 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Shani:

> That is exactly what is wrong with mainstream journalism - and wanky outlets like the Mail in particular. No research. No context. No verification or investigation.

However the photographer involved must obviously have cooperated with the paper.

snoop6060 07 Dec 2018
 Mike Hutton 07 Dec 2018

Great comments everyone. This just re-enforces my views on how shit the Daily Fail is.(I thought it was shit, now it's even shitter) Amazing that someone at the mail could even comprehend that a rock face could be 400m above the ground when we only have crags up to 25m in the peak

They will write any shit

The guy who wrote it must be an absolute muppet

Mike Hutton 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Sean_J:

That would be good

Mike Hutton 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Shani:

Hey Shani. You should check out the punter comments on the Mail link . Says it all

Rob Parsons 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike Hutton:

What was your involvement with the article? How did it get commissioned? How much did they pay you for it? Why did you get involved with a paper which you already thought was 'shit'?

Post edited at 09:09
 Mike Hutton 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Basically photos were sent to an agency that deals with all papers and I get paid for ever showing web and print.  My caption was correct. I think everyone knows how much the papers exaggerate stuff.

I never deal directly with the papers. Hope this answers your question 

john arran 07 Dec 2018
 Rob Parsons 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike Hutton:

Thanks for the reply. If you are not happy with the outcome, then you might have a word with the agency.

How did the paper get the quotes from you? Were they part of the 'package' you sent to the agency?

Final question: what's with the hot sauce bottles in the final beefcake shot? That part of the article is thoroughly weird.

galpinos 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike Hutton:

You Daredevil you.....,

Offwidth 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike Hutton:

Re mail comments. Does that mean you are not really a narcissist who is 'asking for it', then ? ..... you cheered up our pub meet after round 1 of the Depot comp last night .... we wondered if you will bring signed Huttonator postcards on the Pabbay trip ??

Offwidth 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Rob Parsons:

A photographer with several BMC guide covershots!! A man said to be too nice to be true!? Bear chests (sic) and hot chilli sauce!!?? The Daily Fail!!!???  I  smell a rat, even if Mike doesn't... you just need to dig a bit more !? .

John2 07 Dec 2018

I'm sorry to say that the same photo appears in the Times today, saying that it was taken '1300 feet up in the Peak District'.

Jon Read 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike Hutton:

Here's a less sensationalist take on the same material:

https://www.storytrender.com/78322/the-ultimate-cliff-hanger-man-captures-h...

John2 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Jon Read:

Ah - 400m above the ground.

Jon Read 07 Dec 2018
In reply to John2:

oh yes, missed that bit. They are all rubbish!

Jim Hamilton 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Jon Read:

or the agency hype?

Duncan Bourne 07 Dec 2018

Brave Mr Hutton

Love it. I feel a movie francise coming on

Duncan Bourne 07 Dec 2018

"He was able to capture his brave climb by balancing the camera and tripod on the edge of the mountain – something which captured the images automatically"

It never occured to me that I could get selfies automatically just by balancing my camera on a mountain, to think I've been messing around with timers all these years.

Rob Morgan 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

I hear it's how they filmed Free Solo.

Shani 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Mike Hutton:

> Hey Shani. You should check out the punter comments on the Mail link . Says it all

My favourite comment: "...in the last picture it's hard to see that he actually has a good enough hold to support his weight, could there be a bit of photo shopping here?"

Please tell me you are strong enough to hold a massive jug!

jkarran 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

> It's not that bad! so they've used his altitude figure incorrectly, at least they published his pictures.

And apparently without stealing them or the copy, things are looking up at the Mail!

jk

Removed User 07 Dec 2018

Watch out Ondra

MingDynasty 09 Dec 2018
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

I can't stand it when people- and this includes Countryfile presenters- use the expression 'The Peaks'. Makes me cringe.

Trangia 10 Dec 2018
In reply to MingDynasty:

> I can't stand it when people- and this includes Countryfile presenters- use the expression 'The Peaks'. Makes me cringe.

You are not alone!

ALF_BELF 10 Dec 2018
In reply to MingDynasty:

> I can't stand it when people- and this includes Countryfile presenters- use the expression 'The Peaks'. Makes me cringe.

I was born and bred in the peaks. It’s always been called the peaks to us too, it’s just part of the vernacular. I think it’s a middle class thing to say the peak , us working class rodents are always gonna add that beautiful little s at the end. PEAKS 

Offwidth 10 Dec 2018
In reply to ALF_BELF:

If we ever meet I'll buy you a pint. Our river was always, for locals,  phonetically the 'nen' and incomers lectured us it was the 'neen'.

The history of the name is full of maybes and even then, if it came from the peaklanders they were named after a land of peaks. The obssession is a complete nonsense. We can boldly go to the Peaks without fear of snobs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...