Baggy Point

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 markjackson149 05 Jul 2019

Hi All,

I am looking to climb at baggy point in the coming weeks, we normally climb Portland/Swanage but fancy a change.  Most climbs are bolted in those areas are the climbs at Baggy Point sport or trad?

I cant see in the book or app to clearly say either.  They show both grades....?

Thank you

Kevster 05 Jul 2019
In reply to markjackson149:

Baggy is all trad. 

I think you may need a level of exerience that your opening post suggests may be lacking to safely climb at baggy. Lots of swanage is trad. Have you done any of the trad lines?

Baggy requires similar skills to the trad at swanage. 

As per Kev's comment. Baggy is all trad. It's good crag with lots of nice, lower grade climbs. But it is ultimately a traditional sea cliff environment with abseil approach. Make sure you know how to Prusik, how to build belays and so on.

Regarding grades... I suspect you mean 'E4 6a' for example. This isn't 'both grades', the 6a part has absolutely no link whatsoever with the system used to grade a '6a' on Portland (French). The different grading systems are explained briefly here. https://www.rockfax.com/publications/grades/

Hope this helps .

Chris Murray 06 Jul 2019

Worth pointing out that for much of the climbing it's wise to place a safety rope for the scramble to the top of the cliff. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...