Ascending queries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Osiris 29 Apr 2019

Can/should a bachmann hitch be used on double ropes?

Is there any reason to carry mechanical ascenders when using double ropes?

petegunn 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Osiris:

I've used a normal prusiks to ascend a double stranded rope before (rope jammed on a pull down abseil so had to go back up).

Isn't the Bachmann the one where you use a carabiner as a handle?

OP Osiris 30 Apr 2019
In reply to petegunn:

That's correct.

SenzuBean 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Osiris:

> Is there any reason to carry mechanical ascenders when using double ropes?

If you're carrying a guide plate, they work extremely well for the 'body' 'prusik'. I was able to ascend maybe 2x (estimating) as quick as opposed to two prusik knots. Should be similarly good for half ropes. Another interesting prusiking variation taught over here is to attach the foot loop above the body prusik, which in my single test - seemed to be a good idea.
If you're talking only of climbing in the UK, I don't think you'll find anything long enough that speed of ascending the rope is a factor significant enough to carry the extra weight.

OP Osiris 02 May 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

Right, I suppose we don't have many big routes here. I wondered if it is even possible in any way to use mechanical ascenders on double ropes or if it must be a single for that application. 

I agree with the guide mode ascent style - with a redirect of the rope above the device onto a prussic/sling placed above it is very easy to ascend.

tehmarks 02 May 2019
In reply to Osiris:

Obviously two strands of rope won't fit in most (any?) ascender. You could use them with double ropes - by ascending on a single strand.

I don't personally see a problem with this if the rope diameter is compatible with the device, doesn't run over any sharp edges, etc. Exactly the same precautions as if you were jugging up a single, in other words.

scott titt 02 May 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

> Obviously two strands of rope won't fit in most (any?) ascender. 

Except a Shunt

tehmarks 02 May 2019
In reply to scott titt:

I'd argue that a Shunt isn't really an Ascender though...

Rick Graham 03 May 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

> I'd argue that a Shunt isn't really an Ascender though...

The shunt design is a double rope and safer version of a Heibler? clamp. This was a 60s device , there might be some photos of it in the Eiger Direct book.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...