Arc’teryx Lakeland Revival 2019

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Stewart 02 May 2019

Have I missed the UKC article and whatnot promoting this? Or is there some reason for its absence?

http://www.arcteryxlakelandrevival.com/lakeland-revival/about/

Anyone going to the BBQ on Saturday or doing any of the other stuff?

See you there if you're going, it's a good event. And maybe Arc'teryx will provide enough t-shirts this year to give me one for climbing a route I would have done anyway (so many routes got done in the heatwave last year the stock ran out pretty early on...but I'd rather have the  heatwave than the t-shirt if it's got to be a choice).

Post edited at 20:37
 rachcrewe 07 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Fantastic weekend to be part of. I felt energised by all the excitement and enthusiasm from everyone who took part: whether that was in a workshop or by climbing a route or just by saying hi as they passed through the Sticklebarn yard. It was great to see folk embracing the route cards and climbing some forgotten classics; a few folk tumbled in to the pub at 10pm after a (planned) head-torch adventure on Pavey Ark in a Diff chimney whilst Jesse Dufton, blind GB para climber, lead the 5 pitch Copper Dragon on Great How Crag after picking up the "High and Wild" route card. So awesome. 

I am in awe of the amazing Katy who organised the event and calmly bossed it with a 7-week old baby in arms (although admittedly the baby was passed around everyone at the event so she had her hands free quite a lot). 

To all the nay-sayers: maybe turn up next time and see for yourself rather than descending into the cynicism of yesteryear. It's boring. The future of trad is in safe, and positive, hands. 

Missed it this year (changed plans and went to Mull instead).

But I took a quick look at the route cards. The emphasis seems to be moving away from ‘off the beaten track’.

Either that or the beaten track is getting narrower.

Good event though.

OP Jon Stewart 07 May 2019
In reply to rachcrewe:

Thanks for posting!

In reply to The Pulsing Motorik of Neu!:

> But I took a quick look at the route cards. The emphasis seems to be moving away from ‘off the beaten track’.

I think before my time (the last couple of years) they tried sending people up absolutely minging routes. There's a video somewhere of someone having a bash at Nagasaki Grooves with absolutely no preparation - I don't think it really hit the spot of promoting Lakes climbing to the curious but uninitiated. Also vague memories of Katy Whitaker on something under half a foot of soaking wet moss and falling down (the crag, not Katy!).

In the last couple of years the route cards have been a mixture of well-loved classic stuff that is actually nice, for the visitors, and some harder to reach but still classic stuff for those more familiar with the area (but at which the old-timers will still yawn, no doubt).

This year's card does include a route on Far Hill Crag, which, lifted straight from the guidebook, is described as having "superb clean rock". This is not true - if you're going, you'll need a stiff nylon brush.

Last year’s card almost persuaded me to head to Newlands. Been curious for a while anyway. But everyone I mentioned it to told me the routes were pretty dirty.

Did get me to Doves Nest Crag where the recommended route was pleasant but Horizontal Pleasure was excellent.

And I guess anything that gets people out of Bramcrag Quarry is a plus.

In reply to The Pulsing Motorik of Neu!:

> And I guess anything that gets people out of Bramcrag Quarry is a plus.

Filling it in would work too.

deacondeacon 07 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Stumbled across this by accident at the weekend. Nice to bump into some mates and it seemed really well organised and popular. I wasn't climbing (on a family holiday) but still managed to get a route In

If I new you were there Jon I could have escaped for a couple of routes lol

In reply to deacondeacon:

As it happens I wasn't there except for popping my head into the Stickle Barn to see a few familiar faces (but not yours). I was working Saturday, and Sunday I had limited time so I just solo'd a couple of obscure routes in Langdale.

But I will be doing some routes for swag over the summer. I think it's biners this year. But what I really want is a beanie, I keep losing them.

deacondeacon 07 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Cool. I'll come up one weekend. I just did that mega diff behind the Old Dungeon Gyhll which I'd never done befor  

In reply to deacondeacon:

That's the correct approach to Gimmer. If you missed it the other week, you must hang your head in shame.

C Witter 07 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I happened upon the Revival by accident, on a Saturday trip out with two friends - one of whom had never climbed outside before. Being a bright day, with a northerly breeze, we headed up to Gimmer for Ash Tree Slabs and F Route. F Route, despite being a classic, was surprisingly dirty - but good craic. The Whit's End start was possibly the best bit of climbing on the route, though. The newbie suffered a little, struggling up it in an impromptu snow flurry! Afterward we headed down to Raven for another route, in t-shirt weather, getting back to the Sticklebarn by 8.30pm for a free carabiner, bbq and a couple of beers. A good day out.

deacondeacon 07 May 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'll know for next time. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...