anyone have a link to tenerife topos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 06 Jan 2020

I'm off to Tenerife, for a much needed week of R&R.  I may have a chance of a days climbing while I'm there.  I would like to have a look at what the sport climbing is like in advance.  So, does anyone have a link to any good on line topos.

thanks in advance

Joffy 06 Jan 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Went at the beginning on November and realised there is a distinct lack of online info. However the guide book is brilliant, and is available from the climbing shop which is pretty much on the way to the crags!

I left the book there... But did take a few photos of the approach detail of a couple if that's of any help.

Lord_ash2000 06 Jan 2020
In reply to kipper12:

I was unable to find any info or anywhere to buy the guide outside of the island. As the poster above says you can buy the guide from the climbing shop and they'll often also sort you out with some extra topos of things not in the guide, they certainly did with me and bouldering.

Basically the shop seems to be the centre of climbing on the island so it's the must visit first point of call for any first time visiter.

Cog 06 Jan 2020
In reply to john arran:

The local guidebook supports the bolt fund, so probably best to buy it.

john arran 06 Jan 2020
In reply to Cog:

> The local guidebook supports the bolt fund, so probably best to buy it.

In general I'm completely with you, but for just a single day's climbing it's nice to have another option.

Joffy 07 Jan 2020
In reply to john arran:

If money is really that tight for one day then I'd recommend Tamadaya.

With the hardest route being 6b+ you can't go wrong even without a guide book.

Really nice crag too.

Simon Caldwell 07 Jan 2020
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> I was unable to find any info or anywhere to buy the guide outside of the island.

http://www.climb-europe.com/rockclimbingshop/tenerife-rock-climbing-guidebo...

meehan_hazel 21 Jan 2020
In reply to kipper12:

As others have said, if you go to the climbing shop in Arico or to the Climbing House upstairs they will sort you out with topos.  They are responsible for most of the bolting and are always putting up new routes and areas so they make little printouts which you can buy in the shop, or they will email you topos if they haven't got it printed.  Otherwise the Tenerife climbing book is good if a little out of date.  There is some great climbing of all grades and a variety of different styles.  From the climbing shop you aren't far from many climbing venues so you can stop there at the start of the day and make a decision on where to go depending on the weather.  

Post edited at 12:32
 Lord_ash2000 21 Jan 2020
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Handy to know about now, but it wasn't in stock at the time. 

Mr Lopez 21 Jan 2020
In reply to kipper12:

http://www.roxtar.es/climb%20info.htm (with some topos free to download)

http://www.cdcaverock.es/?page_id=192

https://www.thecrag.com/climbing/spain/tenerife

And you can click along this photos see what you like https://www.google.com/search?q=croquis+escalada+tenerife&tbm=isch

The codeword to get spanish results in google is 'croquis' which is the spanish word for topos.

And i would also sugest buying the local guidebook even if you are climbing only for a day. It helps the locals develop and maintain the crags and they make good souvenirs if anything.

Either way have fun. I'm jealous. Ha, ha

Post edited at 13:15
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Jan 2020

I bought a copy from ClimbEurope (sent to France - great service btw), the new book is much better than the small previous version, a lot more route/crags in it, colour codes, left to right, nice big topos, excellent maps. The only oddity is the star rating system - every route has three hollow stars and the book suggest you fill them in yourself,

*** = good,

** = OK,

* = didn't like it!

Chris

john arran 21 Jan 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> I bought a copy from ClimbEurope (sent to France - great service btw), the new book is much better than the small previous version, a lot more route/crags in it, colour codes, left to right, nice big topos, excellent maps. The only oddity is the star rating system - every route has three hollow stars and the book suggest you fill them in yourself,

> *** = good,

> ** = OK,

> * = didn't like it!

> Chris

That's the most ridiculous approach to star rating I've ever heard. Taken to its logical conclusion, the book should also have unmarked crag photos for you to draw your own route lines on, empty text boxes for you to write your own descriptions, and OS maps with no crags shown, so you can put the crags where you most want them!

GrahamD 21 Jan 2020

The quality and nature of routes was generally apparent from just looking at them, I found, so the lack of useful star ratings wasn't the loss it could have been.

Simon Caldwell 22 Jan 2020

I've just got a copy, as we're off there next month. Still doesn't include anything about La Catedral which is a shame. I'm told that the local topos are no longer available so I'll have to rely on a really old Cicerone book...

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 Jan 2020

There are a few bit of topos on the net if you search but it is all a bit hit and miss. We did a route on the South Face (Via del Viento??) years ago which was well worth the effort.

I would be interested on any feedback after your trip,

Chris

Post edited at 10:09
 BALD EAGLE 22 Jan 2020

Hi Simon ping me an e-mail with your mail address via UKC and I can help you out with regard to La Catedral!

Cheers

Dave 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...