Ankle Support

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NinaC 31 May 2021

Hi,

I went over and sprained ankle back in December 2020 on my way back from the crag on a long approach that was relatively flat but rocky terrain. 

I have repeated this approximately 4 or 5 times since then. The sprains are extremely painful when I go over on it and then mildly swollen and tender for a few days afterwards. It has not been 100% since. 

I’ve noticed that it seems to happen if I’m hiking for more than an hour / on a longer approach back from climbing, and generally when walking down steep and rocky terrain. 

I am currently looking at ankle supports and a set of walking poles. 

I wondered if anyone had a similar experience and had any suggestions? Or ankle support brace recommendations? 

Thank you for everyone’s time! 

MischaHY 31 May 2021
In reply to NinaC:

My first thought would be to see a sport physio and get some rehabilitation exercises to strengthen your ankle. Only appropriate strength training and loading will return it to full function in a shorter timeframe. 

In reply to NinaC:

Wear boots with greater ankle support. Heavy but, given your circumstances, worth it.

Poles (as you mention) are good too and helpful either way.

Post edited at 15:42
 Carless 31 May 2021
In reply to NinaC:

Consider buying and using a wobble board: Decathlon have them

After I knackered mine in the same way as you have, I very carefully walked downhill like an OAP. It unfortunately took over 2 years for it to feel right

Breaking my left ankle last year (stupid bike accident) didn't help, but the physio sessions to recover definitely did

Morty 31 May 2021
In reply to NinaC:

Good advice above - see a professional. 

This is good during rehabilitation. https://www.bauerfeind.co.uk/en_gb/products/supports-orthoses/foot-ankle/de...

I wouldn't continue to use it after the swelling has gone and you are making progress with physiotherapy.  

OP NinaC 31 May 2021
In reply to Carless:

Thank you for everyone’s replies!

I’ll look into a local physio and I will definitely buy a wobble board - thank you for the advice I haven’t thought of that before. 

wercat 31 May 2021
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

or lighter boots with post war style woollen puttees - they do work! and keep your trous cleaner

I'm sceptical about being able to fix the problem permanently for everyone with exercise.  Our family has a hereditary problem with ankles sometimes flipping over - hence boots or puttees for ankle support, or, at the other extreme, walking sandals with a solid sole and decent tread so the foot and unenclosed ankle operates on its own.

Post edited at 18:48
 GrahamD 31 May 2021
In reply to NinaC:

Sounds familiar !  Boots and poles are the best compromise I've found, plus don't wear 'bad' shoes all the rest of the time.

karlt 31 May 2021
In reply to NinaC:

I've torn ligaments in the same ankle a couple of times over the years. Did it once on a mountain marathon.  Have used Aircast A60 Ankle Brace to help prevent further damage whilst trying to strengthen it.  Got back to doing mountain marathons with it and don't think would have ever been able to do that without it.  

Myfyr Tomos 31 May 2021
In reply to NinaC:

Badly damaged my ankle 12 years ago and took a considerable time to recover fully. Agree with the good physio advice. How are you at balancing on one foot? Work on that LOTS - when brushing your teeth, cooking, on the phone, watching TV etc, then try it with your eyes closed. Worked for me, really seemed to strengthen my foot and ankle and greatly improved my confidence in "stepping down on uneven ground". Good luck.

Post edited at 21:50
 im off 31 May 2021
In reply to NinaC:

I find strapping up with climbers zinc oxide tape gives most support. Just Google how to strap an ankle. I've used many other ankle supports and they don't work as well as tape for me.

Yeah....wear boots with ankle support. And see a physio. 

I also have insoles with outer edge raised abit that helps me alot. There's a few off the shelf insoles like this. I'd get some proper advise on this though or you may stuff something else up. 

I tore my lateral collateral years ago. 

OP NinaC 01 Jun 2021
In reply to NinaC:

Thank you all again! Loads of great advice to think about - I’ll work on strengthen my ankles 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...