Alpkit bouldering pads- any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maxrose 14 Feb 2021

Been thinking about getting the Alpkit project bouldering pad (when it’s back in stock). Does anyone have any experience with alpkit pads, they seem very well sized for their price point compared to anything on the market. 

Any advice appreciated!

C Witter 14 Feb 2021
In reply to maxrose:

I've got the Mujo as my only pad. It's also my first mat, though I've used other people's. I'm getting on with it well. I wouldn't want to take a massive fall onto it, but I'm happy bouldering on my own taking controlled 3 or 4m falls onto it. It's easy to carry once you've managed to get your arm into the straps - I often stuff my rucksack into it and walk for a good 30 - 45 mins without trouble. I've even carried it like that against an absolutely howling wind, and found it comfy. I've also been bouldering places with a lot of sheep shit, and I found the pad easy to clean and dry.

I'd sum it up as: not full of frills and thrills, but it does what you want it to do very well.

Andypeak 14 Feb 2021
In reply to maxrose:

I've got an alpkit pad and I'm very happy with it. 

Andy Johnson 14 Feb 2021
In reply to maxrose:

I bought an Origin last summer. It's my first pad and I used it perhaps five or six times before the the winter arrived. I've no complaints and I feel it was good value for money.

C Witter 14 Feb 2021
In reply to C Witter:

> I'm happy bouldering on my own taking controlled 3 or 4m falls onto it.

Thinking more... I was thinking about 3-4m boulder problems, but I would revise falling to 2 to 3m! Jumping off with your feet 4m above the ground would be pretty scary and even 3m would be better to avoid!

Post edited at 22:43
 static266 14 Feb 2021
In reply to maxrose:

Don’t use mine a huge amount but it’s pretty substantial and really good value for money. 

HeMa 15 Feb 2021
In reply to maxrose:

Check UKC reviews, as Alpkit stuff has been part of them... Also Project if I recall correctly.

Short answer, is that it might not be the best nor long lasting pad on the market. But afaik it is good enough and especially good value for the price you pay. 

snoop6060 15 Feb 2021
In reply to maxrose:

I've got the project and don't like it at all. Think it's last year's model though as it's orange and black. The foam moves about inside and folds over itself so I'm constantly having to open it and sort out the top layer of foam. It moves on your back as the cover isn't really that tight, and given its massive, it's a pain to carry. It also doesn't seem anywhere near as durable as my old moon one. That all said it's great as an actual pad once it's open on the ground under you. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...