Adjacent routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm taking a non climbing colleague climbing and she was worried that people are going roll their eyes at climbing next to a beginner.

I explained that a) climbers are nice people and b) a sunday league footballer is never going to share a pitch with Ronaldo but you can have a beginner route in the same piece of rock as something that is elite/if not world class.

So I was wondering where you have the biggest grade difference in routes next to (or all most next to) each other. For example a crag picked at random; Black Rocks has Moonchild (E7 6c) right next to Pine Tree Gully (D). Extra marks given if BOTH the routes get stars

deacondeacon 08 May 2019
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Equilibrium and Tower chimney at Burbage South would suit at E10 and vdiff. In fact Burbage South has plenty of contrast along the crag. Blackout E9 and Roof Route VS is another. 

Wiley Coyote2 08 May 2019

Tell her not worry. For me this juxtaposition is one of the many great things about climbing. Years ago I had trouble convincing a friend that the bloke  soloing nearby routes  was arguably the best climber in the world. She was even more sceptical  when he proved to be really friendly and helpful pointing out a hold she was missing. It was like going down to the local park for a knockabout game of tennis and having Roger Federer  practising on the next court - and then giving you coaching tips. (Step forward and take a bow Ron Fawcett).  Probably not as likely to happen these days when the stars are on Raven Tor, Malham, and Kilnsey where beginners fear to tread but perhaps occasionally still happens on the grit?

Mark Stevenson 08 May 2019

A better question is what's the biggest grade difference you have witnessed in real life?

I think climbing on  Dinas Mot and finding James Pearson working Trauma (E8 7a) at the same time as Alan Hinkes was leading The Cracks (HS 4c) will probably take some beating!

Ramblin dave 08 May 2019
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

We were at the Roaches once and one of our group got into a bit of a faff on Pedestal Route (HVD) thereby holding up Nathan Lee's flash of Painted Rumour (E6).

climber34neil 08 May 2019

Parthian shot and Byrne's layback Burbage south (or crack, whatever it's called)

Cheese Monkey 08 May 2019

I was aiding up some E2 at Swanage once and generally having a shit time. Bloke on the crux of an E4 or something a few routes over was just casually hanging on some steep crimps. Asked if I wanted a hand. So many emotions

Deadeye 08 May 2019
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Ron Fawcett soloed up Oedipus to unstick my hex from Valkyrie

Cheese Monkey 08 May 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

You know what I mean then. 

joeldering 08 May 2019

No match for climb id:301048 is immediately next to Cleo's Edge (f5+) - unfortunately not on the same boulder, but both get 3 stars

Michael Gordon 08 May 2019

On the Cobbler, Dalriada (E7) is right next to Whither Whether (VS). Both are *** minimum.

In reply to deacondeacon:

> Equilibrium and Tower chimney at Burbage South would suit at E10 and vdiff. 

E10 to Vdiff is good, grit does seem to allow this juxtaposition for than other rock tyypes

EarlyBird 09 May 2019

Nicely angled and protectable crack right next to poorly protected (if at all!) and impending arete - that's grit!

profitofdoom 09 May 2019

> So I was wondering where you have the biggest grade difference in routes next to (or all most next to) each other...........

The Cromlech's pretty good for that. You have Spiral Stairs (VD) (three stars) right between Corridors of Power (E4 6a) and Memory Lane (E3 5c) (two stars), and some other good adjancies (not a word??) on the the same crag

peppermill 09 May 2019
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Agreed. Tell her she also needs to get used being burned off by ten year olds. Another wonderful part of climbing!

In reply to peppermill:

True true. At the weekend our club set up a silly hangtough comp at the towns spring fair. Hang off a scaffold bar for as long as possible.... not climbing but to non climber sounds related.

The adult winning time was 3m 25seconds. The junior winning time, by a 10ish year old... 12m 24 seconds

Dave Garnett 09 May 2019
In reply to deacondeacon:

>  Blackout E9 and Roof Route VS is another. 

Although, to be fair, they aren't as many grades apart as you might think! 

deacondeacon 09 May 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> >  

> Although, to be fair, they aren't as many grades apart as you might think! 

Oh i dont know about that  

Jimbo C 09 May 2019

Millstone Edge - Embankment 2 (VS) and Scritto's Republic (E7)

Froggatt, Great Slab. A selection of routes up to E9 bounded by a Mod and a VDiff

Not as a high a grade difference but within touching distance you have Goliath's Groove (HVS) and Ulysees (E6)

ChrisClark1 09 May 2019
In reply to joeldering:

Ah yes. I did feel a tad intimidated when I was working out the crux of Cleo's edge while behind me there was a couple lads working Voyager

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...