A return to the 80s glory days?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

If the political pundits are to be believed, we are staring down the barrel of mass unemployment. Rishi Sunak has just announced a revamped YOP/YTS scheme. 

Enterprise allowance/GCG next? 

Most importantly, will these measures lead to a return of the now mythical scallywag culture of the 80s and a resultant climbing boom? 

peppermill 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Nae chance. Nobody in 2020 is that cool ;p

Tigger 08 Jul 2020

Na CCTV is too good, you'd definately get caught shoplifting these days. Though I'd love to have been on the scene in the 80's, at times I feel like, or get the impression that we're missing something now?

nikoid 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Can't you get away with shoplifting now providing you don't steal too much?  I've read the police aren't interested if you have stolen less than about £70 worth of goods. 

Tigger 08 Jul 2020
In reply to nikoid:

Damn, Miura's are £100+ these days

tehmarks 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Miuras? I thought you wanted to go back to the 80s glory days?

Tigger 08 Jul 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Well in that case so are Boreal Ballet's!!

Ian65 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Firés at best...

Mick Ward 08 Jul 2020

> Most importantly, will these measures lead to a return of the now mythical scallywag culture of the 80s and a resultant climbing boom? 

Yesterday Blacknor seemed to have as many people on it as you'd expect on a busy weekend. Not a scally in sight. 

Mick

Tony the Blade 09 Jul 2020
In reply to peppermill:

Time to dust off the Aces, the lycra pants, re-grow my dreads* and re-climb Agincourt.

*I'm lying about the dreads, I never had them in the 80's I just thought Moon was super cool.

Pekkie 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Tony the Blade:

How long is it since The Blades were at their current high level in the league?

Dave Ferguson 09 Jul 2020

whats green and gets you drunk?

A Giro

Oh to be 23 again.

In reply to Dave Ferguson:

I used to supplement mine by doing police line ups. £5 a time, doubled if it went over the hour. Cash in hand. Nice. 

Siward 09 Jul 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Still have a virtually unworn pair in the loft, knew they'd come in handy  

Blunderbuss 10 Jul 2020

> If the political pundits are to be believed, we are staring down the barrel of mass unemployment. Rishi Sunak has just announced a revamped YOP/YTS scheme. 

> Enterprise allowance/GCG next? 

> Most importantly, will these measures lead to a return of the now mythical scallywag culture of the 80s and a resultant climbing boom? 

Mythical scallywag behaviour.... you mean thieving.....no doubt glossed over by many who would foam at the mouth if someone knicked some of their climbing gear! 

In reply to Blunderbuss:

Indeed, poor behaviour is often lauded after the event. It is a cultural/societal failure that most if not all are guilty of. 

As an aside, I wonder how long it will be before those sneaky lockdown busting trips become part of folklore and the participants celebrated? 

graeme jackson 10 Jul 2020

> I used to supplement mine by doing police line ups. £5 a time, doubled if it went over the hour. Cash in hand. Nice. 

When was that?  Me and my mates did one in Ashington in 1979 and we only got 50p each. 

GrahamD 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Blunderbuss:

Glorious thieving, though, by the sounds of it.

In reply to graeme jackson:

1991/2 Longsight. It was quite a jolly little earner. 

Siward 10 Jul 2020

The joy of the 80s of course was no bloody internet, no mobile phones, no CCTV. A different world.

My daughter commented when watching an old (I say old- early 90s) Glastonbury crowd recently how social media has ruined everything. I think she was referring to how nobody had made an effort to look at all presentable (true enough) as opposed to the preening Instagram peacocks of today, or something

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...