0 or 1 star routes that exceeded expectations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 19 Jan 2019

Companion thread to the crap *** one.

I'm going to open proceedings with Balch's Slide (HS 4a), because I have done* it half a dozen times and it never fails to hold my attention.

*no side runners, no deviation.

charliesdad 19 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

Climb in Cumbria. Pretty much any climb will exceed your expectations, especially if you’ve never climbed outside the Peak District!

OP d_b 19 Jan 2019
In reply to charliesdad:

Getting more than 8m off the ground will do that to someone who isn't expecting it! '-)

John Kelly 19 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

Mercedes (VS 4c)

Lot of climbing on this one, cleaner and dryer than it looks, shortest walk in in the lake's?

Post edited at 21:59
 Jon Stewart 19 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

If you're a Stanage regular who's not done this, it's a favourite of mine:

Providence (E1 5c)

It's not pointless, honestly - you do a move to get established on the slab and then you're committed for quite a few mildly run out moves. It's like a mini Elegy (OK. it's about a third as good, but that still quite good).

Jon Stewart 19 Jan 2019
In reply to charliesdad:

> Climb in Cumbria. Pretty much any climb will exceed your expectations, especially if you’ve never climbed outside the Peak District!

I'm not sure Car Park Crag (couple of posts down) is the place to back that up!

I was trying to think of some Lakes routes, but actually I always do 2 and 3* routes up here because the lesser climbed 'gems' tend to be rather dirty and unappealing. There are quite a few 3* routes that might seem rather esoteric (or frankly repellent) to the casual visitor as well...

Post edited at 22:18
 Alex@home 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Sticking with the stanage theme, 5.9 finish is great

John Kelly 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Well Gimmer got mauled in a related post, the 'climbing not memorable ' so I thought try a completely different tack, aesthetically less appealing but really great climbing.

bouldery bits 19 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

I like this thread. Nicely positive.

In reply to d_b:

Bucket Rider (E1 5c) is one that was not only much better than I expected but much better than it looked from the start. Really fine climbing.

Iain Thow 20 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

Jason and the Juggernauts (HS 4b) on Kinder North Edge is a fave, lovely holds (can't believe I'm still the only log on this, for a very soloable 1980s severe), and I really enjoyed Birdman of Alcatraz (VS 4c) at Saddle Head for the airy second pitch, which looked pretty unlikely for VS. Top of my list though would be Mosaic (VS 4c) in North Pembroke, a superb route on beautiful and rather strange rock - I suspect it gets only 1 star because it's off the beaten track.

Tigger 20 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

The one that springs to mind is Lethal Injection (E2 5c) although it was updated to 3 stars last year with the release of the new guide book, it had only one to its name until then. Continuously interesting, technically sustained and not too pumpy.

Post edited at 09:14
 Offwidth 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

There are hardly any bad no star routes on Stanage Popular, nearly all are worthwhile and many are good. Providence is a bit eliminate and possibly deserves a star, but the many variations like Divine Providence probably distracted from that.

In reply to charliesdad:

> Climb in Cumbria. Pretty much any climb will exceed your expectations, especially if you’ve never climbed outside the Peak District!

Huge number of Lakes zero and 1 star routes are way better than the three star routes, main issue with the star system is to stop them getting overgrown.

DC

Rog Wilko 20 Jan 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I like this thread. Nicely positive.

Agreed. The other thread quickly got a bit moany, with people making more and more outrageous claims of uselessness. Someone even said Blue Sky was disappointing.

Rog Wilko 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

> Huge number of Lakes zero and 1 star routes are way better than the three star routes, main issue with the star system is to stop them getting overgrown.

The answer to that is more stars. All worthwhile routes should get at least one. (IMnotveryHO).

In reply to d_b:

Shadow Arete (D) has a terrific top pitch, worthy of a star or two on its own.  

T.

In reply to d_b:

And though it isn't to everyone's liking, I've always enjoyed Bottle Buttress (VD 4a).  The last two pitches are good stuff.

T.

mrphilipoldham 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Iain Thow:

I was rather hoping to become the second this summer just gone, but despite two or three trips up there I somehow missed it! I only seconded it, but (without the tempting bridging) Razor Crack (S 4a) Was really good for just one star. 

Jon Stewart 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> Providence is a bit eliminate and possibly deserves a star

Providence is awesome because it involves crimping on tiny holds up a steep slab, committed above good gear. If that's a style you really like, it's hard to come by. 

robert-hutton 20 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

I quite enjoyed this one at Stoney, right of Bingo wall.

The Brighton Line (E1 5b)

Post edited at 14:24
 Jon Stewart 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

> Huge number of Lakes zero and 1 star routes are way better than the three star routes, main issue with the star system is to stop them getting overgrown.

Any particular favourites I should seek out around the E1/2 mark? Stuff that stays clean on the fairly accessible places in Langdale, Dow, Thirlmere preferably (when I drive round to Borrowdale, Wasdale etc I'll tend to have a classic objective in mind, I've got plenty of 3* routes left to go at in the E1-3 range).

Michael Gordon 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> The answer to that is more stars. All worthwhile routes should get at least one. (IMnotveryHO).

Trouble is you could end up with big areas of every route getting a single star. And I'm not sure it would make a big difference - many would still just stick to the ** and *** routes.

alan moore 20 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

Seaside Special MVS, in seaside gully Range East, Pembroke. No stars but a great, exposed, two pitch traverse.

its in the old blue book but not in the database for some reason..

In reply to d_b:

I thought Crosstie on Dinas Mot was worth three stars. Certainly not less than two.

HB1 20 Jan 2019

Providence had no stars in the 1989 guide ( and Prudence wasn't listed) I like both of them - stars or no!

Hat Dude 21 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

Flicking through my logbook, I was a bit surprised to see that Via Vita in Ravensdale only gets one star, also Black Slab at Sennen

DanDDJ 21 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

Balcony Balustrade (VS 5a)

Nice moves on the top slab and surprising finishing hold

Sean Kelly 21 Jan 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> I thought Crosstie on Dinas Mot was worth three stars. Certainly not less than two.

As good as Diagonal!

Iain Thow 21 Jan 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

It's definitely worth finding, about 200m east of the start of Ashop Edge proper. Just round the corner I also really enjoyed GP Arete (agree with Simon Caldwell's comment, only VD/HVD, but maybe worth **), and Virtuoso (nice position, feels exposed as soon as you step off the ground).

In reply to Sean Kelly:

> As good as Diagonal!

Yes, absolutely. The last pitch, particularly, was outstanding, in an outrageous position.

mrphilipoldham 21 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

Walker's Wall (HVS 5a) .. seconded this today, and found it to be excellent value for a mere one star. I wouldn't necessarily give it more stars, as it lacks a visual aesthetic and is embedded in perma-green in a back corner of the crag, but as far as the climbing itself goes, well worth it.

Bobling 21 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

Gurgle Girdle (VS 4c).  Not sure what my expectations were - but it definitely exceeded them!  Happy New Year Dave!

OP d_b 21 Jan 2019
In reply to Bobling:

This is the gurgle girdle you refused to finish and then wrote a rant about?  I let only you off because I had already done it with Jo! '-)

I did something about a million times more special in August.  Maybe you could accompany me on my first repeat next year?

Bobling 21 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

> I did something about a million times more special in August.  

Haha!  Define special : )

SuperLee1985 22 Jan 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> The answer to that is more stars. All worthwhile routes should get at least one. (IMnotveryHO).

I totally agree with you there! As illustrated here, plenty of 0 star routes are highly enjoyable and well worth doing, problem is flicking through a guidebook you've  no reliable way of telling these apart from absolutely terrible routes that really aren't worth the effort.

I'd like to see something to differentiate the worthwhile from the worthless. Either give every worthwhile route one star, or give totally worthless routes a different symbol that lets people know they are not worth doing.

In reply to d_b:

1 star routes at Tremadog are mostly excellent. Some would be three star elswhere...

Michael Gordon 22 Jan 2019
In reply to SuperLee1985:

A symbol for the truly unpleasant or dangerous (rotten or loose) routes could be useful (though may create a ticklist for masochists!). To an extent this is often covered with the HVG or XS grades, or in the route description. Whether a route is worthwhile or not is harder to judge. For example, is a route up nice enough rock but with no line, good moves or situation worthwhile? A matter of opinion probably. 

SC 22 Jan 2019
In reply to d_b:

Anything on grit that has no stars is better than the extremely polished three star classics.

A bit over grown these days but Rooks Climb at Cheddar is absolutely superb with a bit of gardening

Rook's Climb (WW) (VS 4b)

Rog Wilko 22 Jan 2019
In reply to SuperLee1985:

As Michael Gordon says, a symbol for dangerous is useful. Is this the obelus/dagger used in some guidebooks? Or in some guides they have black spots. Then no stars for routes nobody thinks are worth doing. One star for worthwhile routes.

OP d_b 22 Jan 2019
In reply to Rog Wilko:

In most of the guides where I have seen it the dagger indicates that a route was unrepeated/unconfirmed at the time of writing rather than that it is dangerous per se.  Some of the daggered routes I have climbed have actually been ok.

The SWMC gower guide uses the black spot for "particularly horrible" routes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...