Yoga fit club 6th week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 heleno 09 May 2020

A thread for those using lockdown either to start yoga, or to take their yoga further. 

NOT intended to detract from the long-running UKC fit club, but to allow yoga-specific sharing of tips, video class recommendations, achievements etc.  I’m also a yoga teacher, so if you’re a beginner I may be able to answer any queries.

Any newcomers to the thread, please feel free to join in!

Last weeks thread: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/rock_talk/yoga_fit_club_5th_week-718964

Clipstick: How is the Down Dog app going?  Is Warrior 3 getting easier?  It’s a challenging pose, especially if you’re working on tight hamstrings as well as your balance.

Leburnett88: Glad you are enjoying the yoga!  Did you choose a new yoga mat?

Derek Furze: I agree, Melissa’s teaching is relaxing and enjoyable, and she focuses on safe progression.  How is it going?

Girlymonkey: Great news about the running.  20km sounds very impressive!

Mbh: Yes, by all means keep us posted with Pilates updates and recommendations!  I think both help develop core strength and flexibility.  Is there an on-line Pilates class you’d recommend?

Harley.marshall8: Thanks for your recommendations.  I’ve always found David Procyshyn’s classes really good too.  I also like these two, which are also great for releasing the muscles we overuse in climbing: https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/hatha-yoga-hands-arms-and-shoulders; https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/hip-flexor-heaven-0

HansStuttgart: Did you mean you are still climbing outside?  If so, lucky you!  What’s the new class you are trying?  If it’s one you think others might enjoy, you could maybe post a link?

Leland stamper: Hope you’re finding your venture into yoga rewarding.  As I said last week, I think the Down Dog beginner classes are quite tough, so if you carry on, you may not find the intermediate classes much harder! 

Disclaimer: Even very strong and fit climbers can injure themselves if yoga poses are done incorrectly.  If you’re trying yoga for the first time via an online class, it’s best to choose one which takes time to show how to do the poses safely.

harley.marshall8 09 May 2020
In reply to heleno:

Yes David's yoga is great. Been doing some vinyassa this week also with two teachers Alica Waters and Lizzette both classes I do are quite intense but great for upper body and core strengthening. Was wondering if people do meditation after yoga 

Derek Furze 10 May 2020
In reply to heleno:

Going well thanks.  I enjoy the contrast with my usual exercise and am finding that it is helping flexibility already.  Still a challenge finding enough time for additional exercise, particularly as I find it doesn't fit well as an extension to my usual stuff - too different in style / mindframe - so it means allocating time somehow.  Melissa's style is relaxed and encouraging.

OP heleno 12 May 2020
In reply to heleno:

Teaching more Zoom yoga classes this week, one to a slightly larger group of students.  Still taking most of my "yoga time" to adapt to teaching this via this new medium - the next challenge is to try teaching while wearing a mic, without the mic falling off!

A bit of a lull between classes now, so really enjoyed doing my own practice again.  Still making slow and steady progress in my peak poses, though decorating, gardening and walking are playing havoc with my all-round flexibility.  

HansStuttgart 13 May 2020
In reply to heleno:

> HansStuttgart: Did you mean you are still climbing outside?  If so, lucky you!  What’s the new class you are trying?  If it’s one you think others might enjoy, you could maybe post a link?

Yes, lucky me

youtube.com/watch?v=168kLvznnMM&

This is the one, quite some poses that are hard for me due to my short hamstrings...

OP heleno 13 May 2020
In reply to HansStuttgart:

>  Did you mean you are still climbing outside?  If so, lucky you!

Posted before Sunday's announcement of course! Hoping to make my own first tentative return to outdoor rock tomorrow. 

Thanks for the link.  Looks good! I might give that one a go too. 

mbh 13 May 2020
In reply to heleno:

Phew. I have done five or six half hour pilates sessions a week for 4 weeks now, mostly the NHS 'pyjama pilates' one done by Sam Webster, but also a couple of others. I find the exercises quite hard, but am outgrowing the videos in that I no longer need to watch Sam, but just use her as a time-marker for when to go on to the next thing. I do more than she asks you to do.

I have noticed a marked improvement in core related things in this time and, for now at least, a cessation of the back pain that led me to start this in the first place so, so far so good. 

Time, though, to mix it up with some other sessions, whether pilates or yoga I don't mind. Whatever works.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...