Yet another sport climbing venue Country Durham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RD 11 Jun 2020

Washpool Crags (Bollihope)

This is the new sport climbing (and bouldering) venue - developed in the early part of the year before lockdown.

This one is a couple of quarries in the Bollihope Valley with super short walk ins of at most a couple of minutes. Jopla main wall is the biggest and most prominent face. The routes aren't that high so don't expect an Ashes Quarry! Also they are all located on CROW land so access to climb is a legal right.

I've plans to add more routes if feedback is good - please let me know by posting comments in the logbooks.

Topo as usual from Rock-Topos. Click twice as the redirect always seems slow the first time.

Lankyman 11 Jun 2020
In reply to RD:

Blimey! 'Country' Durham? Is this another Cummings scandal snuck under the radar?

CJ1080 11 Jun 2020
In reply to RD:

Hoping to go and check it out at some point over the summer  Nice to see another crag being developed in the area, there must be loads of potential in all the old quarries in Teesdale and Weardale. Thanks for the hard work!

In reply to RD:

Hello, I've been to Bollihope today, (I noticed the bolts a couple of weeks ago on a "let's go for a drive before I go crackers" drive), I did 3 of the easiest lines. They were mega, you've done a great job! I'm looking forward to a return visit once I'm feeling stronger  

Cheers, 

Tom 

is2 24 Jun 2020
In reply to RD:

Went today for an easy day out. Did most of the Washpool routes and a couple of easy really nice 6a s at Jopla.  Thought the climbing was surprisingly good and the rock generally feels solid. Routes all felt a bit scruffy and had lots of loose stuff at breaks which hopefully will clear up with use. 

Much nicer setting than the Ashes I thought. Thanks for bolting them. Big midge potential.

Tall Oak 24 Jun 2020
In reply to RD:

Very keen. Been a bummer since the others were closed off.

See you there!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...