Which Osprey 38L Bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Miskawroe 13 Mar 2023

Hi,

I'm looking for an all rounder roughly 38L Osprey bag, for hillwalking, camping, climbing, mountaineering etc. Currently looking at either the Mutant 38 or the Kestrel 38. I am concerned about the lack of external pockets on the Mutant, and that it may be too climbing focused? I am also, just as concerned about the lack of helmet mounts on the Kestrel, and that it is too 'walking' focused. I'm sort of stuck in between the two.

Has anyone got a better idea of which is best suited?

Cheers

Lankyman 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

I bought a Kestrel 68 last year for backpacking to replace my clapped out Karrimor. Unless you're a dedicated super-lightweight fan I'd have thought 38 was too small for carrying everything? I have a 40l sac for 'proper' days on the hills and one half that size for going around the local flat fields. The Kestrel 68 seems fine. I used it on five days along the Cowal Way and one other 1-nighter nearer home and it was comfortable enough.

smbnji 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

Funnily enough those are the two bags I own.. I use the mutant almost exclusively for climbing, I've often thought an external water bottle pocket would be useful but I also use a bladder so it's not a big deal.

The frame of the kestrel is understandably more comfortable for longer walks, the stays on my mutant got a bit bent. The kestrel has a couple of loops on the top that potentially could take a helmet holder. The kestrel also has straps on both sides that could potentially be used to carry a rope. I think I climbed in the kestrel once or twice a few years ago before getting the mutant, and I don't recall any particular issues.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the two that you might have, although they're both a few years old so may not be completely fair comparisons to the latest versions.

TobyA 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

You really don't need a helmet holder. Put it in the pack or just clip it on the outside. I've reviewed packs with them - the mutant actually for example - but I think they are really just unnecessary extras.

CameronDuff14 13 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I actually really like the helmet holder! Frees up so much space on the inside and doesn't get in the way when rummaging, and holds it nice and securely on the outside - if it's just clipped on it'll get so annoying on long walk-ins.

Or at least that's what I've found!

TobyA 13 Mar 2023
In reply to CameronDuff14:

Fair enough my, can't say I've found it annoying having it on the outside. I normally just stick the straps over my ice tools. Last weekend...

The New NickB 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Modern gear can be so compact these days that it can be surprising how small you can go without chopping down your tooth brush and sleeping on balloons.

Summer one and two nighters these days I use a 30l sack quite happily, I think I would be happy with a 38l for longer trips.

Welsh Kate 13 Mar 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

I'm on my second Mutant which I use for mountain rescue (the first got nicked, along with my car and all my MR kit a few years ago. Moral - don't leave kit in cars!)

I love the pack and I find the Mutant litres to be quite generous, plus it has the floating lid which adds to its generous capacity. I don't find the lack of external pockets to be annoying, but I don't use it for normal hillwalking. If I did, I think I'd like to swap the gear loops on the hip belt for the little pockets you see on most packs these days. Funnily enough all my larger packs are Deuter, not Osprey, because for heavier weights I prefer the Deuter back systems. If you can try the two packs it'd be worth it as the fit is different and you may find you prefer one or the other

OP Miskawroe 14 Mar 2023
In reply to smbnji:

Thanks for your response, it's helpful that you have both. Have you tried the mutant for walking and travelling much? I'm leaning towards the Mutant as it is more climbing orientated and this is what I'd rather, I'm just not sure if I will loose too many functions from the Kestrel and I will start to find it annoying.

smbnji 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

> Thanks for your response, it's helpful that you have both. Have you tried the mutant for walking and travelling much?

I've used the mutant on longish walk-ins (~1hr), it was ok, but I would have preferred the frame of the kestrel for anything longer, as it's definitely more comfortable.

> I'm leaning towards the Mutant as it is more climbing orientated and this is what I'd rather, I'm just not sure if I will loose too many functions from the Kestrel and I will start to find it annoying.

It's definitely more climbing oriented, and I'm glad I have it for that purpose. I find the lack of external features makes it feel more robust, and I don't worry about it snagging on stuff when climbing. It's a good pack and I'm pretty pleased with it, my only slight annoyance would be around the stays getting bent, and osprey being unhelpful with fixing it (thankfully someone (Toby?) here on UKC helped me out). I actually also really like the helmet holder.

That said, I have travelled pretty extensively with the kestrel both on long walks, as well as trips abroad and never had any problems. I've always taken it as carry on without issue. It's a great pack and I'm glad I have it for hiking. 

If I reallyyyy had to pick one, I would probably rather climb with the kestrel than walk with the mutant, but I do a lot more climbing than walking, so I'd rather the mutant... Sorry I can't be more helpful than that!

​​​​

Birks 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

It kind of depends what you are doing with the rucksack. Is it to carry 38L worth of kit to a crag or camp then dump it all at the base or are you climbing with all that kit on your back also? 

My personal experience of the Mutant 38 is that it is big enough for winter climbing kit and then strips down nicely when on route, but for me is a bit too big and faffy for summer trad hits (which is why I have the Mutant 28). I personally find helmet attachments useful but do get your point on external pocket. From what I hear, the older model (which is what I have) has an internal mesh pocket (for keys etc) whereas the newer one doesn't which is a bit annoying.

Eduardo2010 14 Mar 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

Have you had a look at exped? Slightly expensive but I rate the verglas (I have one).

TobyA 14 Mar 2023
In reply to smbnji:

> It's a good pack and I'm pretty pleased with it, my only slight annoyance would be around the stays getting bent, and osprey being unhelpful with fixing it (thankfully someone (Toby?) here on UKC helped me out). 

I vaguely remember that - did I just say bend it back into shape? Out a bit at the bottom over you bum, in for the small of your back than curving out over your shoulder blades?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out to some level of comfort again! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...