Which crags will disappear under the undergrowth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bleddynmawr 26 Apr 2020

Or routes?

Some of the southern sandstone crags will need a machete to get to.

olddirtydoggy 26 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

We got a gritstone crag up the road from us in sheffield and we were surprised how many small tree saplings and greenery were taking hold. Not sure what the etiquette is on removing stuff like this when climbers are a small proportion of those enjoying the crags.

Tom Valentine 26 Apr 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Let rewilding  commence. Monbiot will approve.

In reply to bleddynmawr:

Great end crag but to be fair, it does that most years anyway. 

Sean_J 26 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Seems like an ideal use of our government-mandated exercise time to walk to a local crag and do some gardening!

JLS 26 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

This whole Covid thing is a ploy by bats to get into our cracks.

Once establish, they‘ll have the law on their side and we can all go fiddle.  

profitofdoom 26 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Cheddar. As usual 

olddirtydoggy 26 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

So is a big of light gardening at a local crag considered ok? I don't just mean to climbers. Hard to think if it is or isn't as we climb.

In reply to olddirtydoggy:

You should know by now, gardening to create a summer rock route is to be applauded, using said vegetation when frozen or semi frozen for progress is frowned upon. (ukc commandment #5). 

FactorXXX 27 Apr 2020
In reply to JLS:

> This whole Covid thing is a ploy by bats to get into our cracks.
> Once establish, they‘ll have the law on their side and we can all go fiddle.  

Go Bats, go!
If it transpires that non-human activity means that some crags become new havens for endangered/at risk species like bats, etc.  then maybe we should accept that as a good thing and stop climbing there?

d_b 27 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Goblin Combe will vanish but on the plus side the ticks will probably starve.

fred99 27 Apr 2020
In reply to d_b:

> Goblin Combe will vanish but on the plus side the ticks will probably starve.

Not while the deer are there they won't.

d_b 27 Apr 2020
In reply to fred99:

I can dream can't I?

mrphilipoldham 27 Apr 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

I stumbled across a bat in a crack on the Gingerbread section at Lawrencefield just before lockdown. Good luck stopping people climbing on that..! 

In reply to bleddynmawr:

I walked the dog along the bottom of Froggatt yesterday. The grass has started growing back around the base of the pinnacle. The bits of Curbar I took a look at were even more lush.

Trangia 27 Apr 2020
In reply to JLS:

> This whole Covid thing is a ploy by bats to get into our cracks.

> Once establish, they‘ll have the law on their side and we can all go fiddle.  

And don't forget the Crested Newts

Sean Kelly 27 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

And it should be good for nesting birds too. This is exactly what happened when everywhere was closed for F&M in 2001.

Jim Lancs 27 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

It seems there's probably going to be more polish rather than vegetation on the Warton Crags - plenty of people going for a day's bouldering and chalk marks have even appeared on the more esoteric outcrops.

Post edited at 19:41
 Babika 27 Apr 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

My money's on Gardoms

beardy mike 29 Apr 2020
In reply to d_b:

You've told me some of your dreams and I think it's fair to say if even half of them came true the world would be a deeply disturbing place.

FactorXXX 29 Apr 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> I stumbled across a bat in a crack on the Gingerbread section at Lawrencefield just before lockdown. Good luck stopping people climbing on that..! 

If after the lockdown it is discovered that bats are using a crag as a roost, then climbers might not have any choice on whether they can climb there or not.

d_b 29 Apr 2020
In reply to beardy mike:

Not for me.

Rog Wilko 30 Apr 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> You should know by now, gardening to create a summer rock route is to be applauded, 

I think you're at least a decade behind the times there.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

Have you forgotten the praise heaped for cleaning Nagasaki Grooves last spring? 

Just one local example, I am sure there are many more. I don't have a problem with the cleaning, it's the hypocrisy that irks. 

FBSF 10 May 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

I went over the top of Froggatt and Curbar yesterday, very green and lush. The ground underneath is greening around the pinnacle and other areas but think its going to take longer for a real impact than what it will actually get.  Trapeze and trapeze direct on Froggatt have a lot of plant growth in them, as do most of the easier great slab routes. Curbar was similar with the more obscure stuff looking a bit fuzzy!!. 

Amazingly trackside does not have any chalk on it

Would be very interested to see the impact lack of access has on successful bird nesting this season.  Completely unscientific but seems to be a lot of birds hanging out on the top of the crags, more than normal??

Before any one gets preachy, I didn't climb and I live in the valley underneath and reached it by use of my legs

Post edited at 08:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...