What's the "Opioid Heiress" ever done on grit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 17 Mar 2023

https://www.instagram.com/p/Co_I45luPt_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= That's Lawrencefield isn't it? I think she is on Gingerbread (VS 4c) in particular?

I'm reading Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe, about the Sackler family, Purdue Pharma and how they created Oxycontin and the opioid epidemic in the US (that is thought to have killed around a million people since the late 90s). Towards the end of the book he introduces Joss Sackler, a Canadian who has married into the multi-billionaire family. Keefe notes she is into mountain climbing and rock climbing. I googled and saw that on her Instagram from just last month. She does seem to mainly toprope from those pictures - although I'm not trying to link that to moral questionability of her family's wealth, of course! 

Anyway, a slightly green hole in the ground in Derbyshire just seemed an odd place for a Canadian/American self styled fashion designer and academic, called on her Wikipedia page the "opioid heiress", to turn up.

Post edited at 08:47
 Jim Lancs 17 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

>  - although I'm not trying to link that to moral questionability of her families wealth, of course! 

No need - we all automatically made that connection.

Godwin 17 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Its sounds a fascinating book, and one I shall seek out, but your posting seems a bit click bait ish, and IMHO should be moved to The Pub or Off Belay.

The book is available at my local library, I will walk up and get it later today, thanks again.

Post edited at 08:48
OP TobyA 17 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

How could the subject not possibly be click-baitish? :⁠-⁠) But it's a genuine UK rock climbing question - that is Lawrencefield isn't it?

There are a few other pics of her climbing on her Instagram between the pouty selfies and fashion shoots etc. but they look like sunny limestone in exotic locales, far more the type of place you'd expect to find a member of the jetset!

Godwin 17 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I would suggest the conversation you want is about the Opioid epidemic and the Sacklers family role in it, which is an interesting conversation, but to use a picture of a young woman who has married into a family, and is pictured top roping an easy route, seems an unworthy way to start the conversation, and as I said its in the wrong forum, off to the Pub or Off Belay with it, I say

Post edited at 09:12
 Dave Garnett 17 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, Gingerbread (VS 4c) isn't it?

OP TobyA 17 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I've been reading about and hearing about  the opioid epidemic in the States for 15 years or more. I'm not particularly interested in discussing it here. What I'm interested in was the question of whether that's Lawrencefield in the picture - which I wanted other keen climbers to confirm (thanks Dave G!). 

Dave Garnett 17 Mar 2023
In reply to TobyA:

It's probably some sort of Deep State message.  Is Gingerbread street slang for oxycodone?

Offwidth 17 Mar 2023
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Yep! The last photo is best to see this.

The rope from the anchor down to the climber is oddly hard to see!?

>Is Gingerbread street slang for oxycodone?

It's easy to discover Gingerbread is slang for something if you search.

Post edited at 11:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...