What to do with your COVID climbing wall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 08 Jul 2022

While it was very handy during lock-down, I find the large climbing wall in my back garden is causing a little tension. Some people hereabouts might be implying that it doesn't get much use and a return to plants might be an improvement...

(a) is it safe to take it down yet or should I wait and see for a bit longer?

(b) WTF do I do with it once it's down?

Post edited at 16:58
In reply to gravy:

a) if you're not using it get rid

b) give it away to someone on here

matt1984 08 Jul 2022
In reply to gravy:

I've a similar discussion re the 2.5x3m wall in my garage, I'm digging my heels in though as something tells me we've not seen the last of indoor wall (and everything else) closures due to viruses.

In reply to gravy:

If there is anyone in or around Cumbria wanting rid of one, please give me a shout. I have recently moved house and I miss the one I left behind. 

peppermill 08 Jul 2022
In reply to gravy:

Keep it as long as you can. Often wonder how a lot of walls will keep going if the sh*t properly hits the fan economically over the next few years.

Non-essential, hefty overheads (could be wrong on this) and often getting a little pricey these days for obvious reasons. £35+ quid a month or a tenner+ a time suddenly seems a lot less justifiable than this time last year!

The Norris 08 Jul 2022
In reply to peppermill:

That's a very good point. My 'local' wall is 45 mins down the m5 from me, and petrol prices have pretty much stopped me going. My covid fingerboard + a few extra holds has been a godsend, and actually helped my grade!

peppermill 08 Jul 2022
In reply to The Norris:

It's a sad state of affairs, hopefully I'm just being Mr. Harbinger of Doom.

I haven't been to my local much over the past few years as I find it unbearably busy in the evenings, and if I didn't work shifts I probably wouldn't bother, but most of my friends in the area I met through that place and I'd imagine many walls are similar.

OP gravy 08 Jul 2022
In reply to peppermill:

Ahh! I could open it up as a new bouldering wall, I reckon, with inflation, I could make 25p a time on entry and people could set me new problems!

ianstevens 08 Jul 2022
In reply to gravy:

> While it was very handy during lock-down, I find the large climbing wall in my back garden is causing a little tension. Some people hereabouts might be implying that it doesn't get much use and a return to plants might be an improvement...

> (a) is it safe to take it down yet or should I wait and see for a bit longer?

> (b) WTF do I do with it once it's down?

a) Leave it up

b) Put it on Facebook Marketplace for the exact cost of the materials whilst telling the buyer they need to take it down for collection

c) Act surprised when nobody wants your used 2x2, plywood, and 2nd hand gym holds for retail price + a large amount of labour

Godwin 09 Jul 2022
In reply to The Norris:

> That's a very good point. My 'local' wall is 45 mins down the m5 from me, and petrol prices have pretty much stopped me going. My covid fingerboard + a few extra holds has been a godsend, and actually helped my grade!

I am in a similar position, but for a couple of years now, I have found it unjustifiable on purely environmental grounds, to make a 1 hour plus round trip, to go to an industrial unit and climb up plastic holds. To be fair, I am not really keen on indoor climbing in the first place.

OP gravy 09 Jul 2022
In reply to ianstevens:

Oh, I was thinking it was worth much more than the cost of the materials!

After all I've drilled a lot of holes in it and made it authentically manky. Surely calling this pile of old wood and eye-sore a "climbing wall" adds to the desirability? I reckon I can make a profit!

Back in the real world I've added a shelf to the back so I can store some crap there which has eased the immediate pressure to demolish!

I think I may try to rebadge it as a "pergola"...

Forest Dump 09 Jul 2022
In reply to peppermill:

The new wall near me is 18£ first entry, then 55£/5 entries, 95£/10 entries or 42£pcm unlimited..

For the occasional or weekly visitor throw in transport and a drink and that's 20£ ish a visit

Fiona Reid 09 Jul 2022
In reply to gravy:

I'm keeping mine, I actually had it in the garage pre covid and moved house with it during covid.  A local joiner managed to resurrect it from the bits 😀 

After moving I have a 26 mile round trip to the local wall so will making the most of sessions when I do go. 

peppermill 09 Jul 2022
In reply to Forest Dump:

> The new wall near me is 18£ first entry, then 55£/5 entries, 95£/10 entries or 42£pcm unlimited..

> For the occasional or weekly visitor throw in transport and a drink and that's 20£ ish a visit

I get why they're pricey. Dread to think of the running costs of a mega wall like Kendal. A mate used to set for them and jeez the effort that goes into keeping that thing fresh!

Post edited at 19:43
 mattrm 09 Jul 2022
In reply to gravy:

I'm very confused, why on earth would you get rid of your wall?  I'd keep it if I had one personally.  I'd absolutely love one. 

I assume you're refering to your neighbours not liking it? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...