What is the hardest grade 1 /grade 1 + scramble

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

What is the hardest grade 1/grade 1 + plus scramble in Wales I’m looking for a really hard one

oldie 11 Jul 2020
In reply to Cneifion Arête:

If its really hard it may be misgraded! Possibly worth looking for the lowest grade 2? 

petegunn 11 Jul 2020

Think there is a list at the bottom where you can click on each one individually.

https://www.ukscrambles.com/wales-scrambles/

kaiser 11 Jul 2020

Main gully Glyder Fach 

Red Rover 11 Jul 2020

I always thought Bristly Ridge was a bit hard for grade 1. The gullies at the bottom feel more like grade 2.

In reply to Red Rover:

I have done bristly ridge before 

In reply to oldie:

What about y Garn east ridge ?

Iain Thow 11 Jul 2020
In reply to kaiser:

Yes, a sandbag that one, the chockstone move is way hard for the grade. Think it's the only Grade 1 scramble I've ever backed off.

In reply to Iain Thow:

I was looking at it but then I saw no good route after because I’ve arledy done bristly ridge and the other continuations I saw was grade 3 so what’s y Garn east ridge like ?

Gone for good 11 Jul 2020

Y Garn East ridge is grade 2.

The North ridge of Crib Goch is a good grade 1. Much quieter and more interesting approach than the Pyg Track.

A pleasant grade 2 on Snowdon is the Llechog West Rib. Takes you from South of Nant Peris to close to the top of the walkers path from Llanberis. Good rock and a variety of options as to which route you take meaning you can make it easier or harder depending on your preference. 

In reply to Gone for good

I’ve also done crib goch before and I can’t find any info on that llecog Route like no vids 

3B48 11 Jul 2020

Y Garn East Ridge. Mostly grade 1, there's an atmospheric bit to walk across (very short) with a bit of a reach in a scoop after that feels a little airy.

I'm planning to do that route again next week.

Iain Thow 11 Jul 2020

Much nicer than Main Gully, although the scrambling is fairly short. Llechog Ridge in Cwm Glas Bach on Snowdon is a good easy Grade 2, nice and long, quiet, difficult bits avoidable if you want, or you can add harder bits if you feel the urge.

Buy the Cicerone guide and it will give you loads of suggestions, keep you occupied for years.

Post edited at 15:32
In reply to 3B48:

I think I’m doing y Garn next week to

Never mind no I’m not 

Trangia 12 Jul 2020

Tryfan North Ridge has quite a few alternative choices, some harder and more exposed than others. I've been on some of the harder choices with relative novices and you really need to avoid them if possible so as to not freak out your novices. Unfortunately it takes quite a few ascents to learn the differences by trial and error. I inadvertently took my non climbing GP up a section a few years ago and reduced him to a quivering wreck!! I didn't have a rope and had to calmly climb beside him to talk him out of trouble. I don't know who was the more scared - him because he was totally gripped, or me because I was terrified he was going to fall!

In reply to Trangia:

Ye I’m doing that next Saturday as well as main gully when I first went up Tryfan I was ment to go on north ridge but went off track and found my self falling and I went on this bit were u almost had to jump this gap and there was like a 100 m drop and I fell off on this bit we’re u have to pull youre self up these rock steps and there was no hand holds 

aln 12 Jul 2020

Do your parents know you're up this late? 

Blue Straggler 13 Jul 2020
In reply to aln:

do you watch Bojack Horseman? I am being reminded of Vincent Adultman 

maxsmith 13 Jul 2020
In reply to kaiser:

I'd agree with Main Gully on Glyder Fach

malk 13 Jul 2020

> Ye I’m doing that next Saturday as well as main gully when I first went up Tryfan I was ment to go on north ridge but went off track and found my self falling and I went on this bit were u almost had to jump this gap and there was like a 100 m drop and I fell off on this bit we’re u have to pull youre self up these rock steps and there was no hand holds 

yo bro- keep it safe with the steep grass..

In reply to malk:

There’s grass ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...