What is fingery climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi.

In a route description, what does fingery climbing mean? Does it mean that good finger strength is needed?

On a similar topic, hypothetically speaking, can The Zone (E9 6c) and Braille Trail (E7 6c) be done as problems above some bouldering mats?

MS

Post edited at 20:20
 Andy Hardy 23 May 2022
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

I would take it to mean that the holds on the crux are small. Finger strength and / or forearm stamina needed if technique is inadequate.

The 2 routes you linked are 10m and 15m high. Not the sort of height I'd want to drop off onto a mat!

DaveHK 23 May 2022

> Does it mean that good finger strength is needed?

Exactly that. It would imply small but often positive holds.

tehmarks 23 May 2022

> Hi.

> hypothetically speaking, can The Zone (E9 6c) and Braille Trail (E7 6c) be done as problems above some bouldering mats?

You could certainly do them as problems above some bouldering mats - but the mats would be very hypothetical, for sure.

Michael Gordon 23 May 2022

> hypothetically speaking, can The Zone (E9 6c) and Braille Trail (E7 6c) be done as problems above some bouldering mats?

as long as you don't fall off

PaulJepson 23 May 2022

Anything's a boulder problem if you're brave enough.

I've done Peapod and Brooks Crack (the HVSs near those routes) and they felt plenty high enough. I don't know about The Zone but I think the hard part of Braille Trail is pretty high up. But I dunno, you look at things like Too Big To Flail ( youtube.com/watch?v=O9sOy304RsA&) and people have taken the ride from a similar height. Onto about 10 pads though.

Just not an approach we really use in the UK. Tons of mats would tame a lot of the desperates on grit but it would be a real shame.

chris_r 23 May 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I would take it to mean that the holds on the crux are small. Finger strength and / or forearm stamina needed if technique is inadequate.

Hi Andy.

I am not sure about forearm stamina but I do have strong fingers.

Post edited at 22:29
In reply to DaveHK:

> Exactly that. It would imply small but often positive holds.

I thought the same as you - good finger strength.

Someone who did Zoolook (8a) at  Malham Cove said that the route changed her mind on fingery climbing.

Sav

In reply to tehmarks:

Both routes have unusual protection.

In reply to PaulJepson:

> Anything's a boulder problem if you're brave enough.

> I've done Peapod and Brooks Crack (the HVSs near those routes) and they felt plenty high enough. I don't know about The Zone but I think the hard part of Braille Trail is pretty high up. But I dunno, you look at things like Too Big To Flail ( youtube.com/watch?v=O9sOy304RsA&) and people have taken the ride from a similar height. Onto about 10 pads though.

Hi Paul.

I've walked above The Peapod and climbed at Burbage North - Offwidth pointed out to me where Parthian Shot (E10 6c) is/was and therefore Brooks' Crack (HVS 5a) is/was. I am actually climbing at Froggatt and Curbar with Offwidth at the end of next month.

> Just not an approach we really use in the UK.

Unless you a 100% boulderer. I wonder if one of Sheffield's finest will try one or both of the linked routes in my OP as bouldering problems.

Tons of mats would tame a lot of the desperates on grit but it would be a real shame.

Too right.

MS

Post edited at 01:56
 aln 24 May 2022

It makes you squirt.

Michael Gordon 24 May 2022

> I wonder if one of Sheffield's finest will try one or both of the linked routes in my OP as bouldering problems.

> Tons of mats would tame a lot of the desperates on grit but it would be a real shame.>

I suggest you take another look at the picture linked above?

In reply to Michael Gordon:

> I suggest you take another look at the picture linked above?

Hi Michael.

What picture are you referring to?

MS

Michael Gordon 24 May 2022

It's the only one linked in this thread. From chris_r

In reply to Michael Gordon:

> It's the only one linked in this thread. From chris_r

I have found it and saw that the hard moves on Braille Trail are high up.

MS

Philb1950 25 May 2022

All the routes mentioned would be solos, not Boulder problems. Fall off the top and it’s a body bag you need not a mat!

ZacMoss 09 Jun 2022
In reply to PaulJepson:

Watch Life On Hold, they highballed grit routes in that.

overdrawnboy 09 Jun 2022

As opposed to handy climbing which is a boulder at the bottom of the garden.

In reply to Philb1950:

> All the routes mentioned would be solos, not Boulder problems. Fall off the top and it’s a body bag you need not a mat!

I am not going to try to solo them. 

Morty 10 Jun 2022

Savvas?

Cool as beans?

In reply to aln:

> It makes you squirt.

Is this a sexual post?

In reply to Morty:

> Savvas?

> Cool as beans?

Morty.

What post of mine are you replying to?

MS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...