Valley of the rocks, lynton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 White2505 26 Aug 2019

Hi, I'm trying to find stone kind of guide for this area.

The historic Web link mentioned in a couple of previous posts no longer works.

Can anybody point me in the right direction.

Cheers 👍

Suncream 26 Aug 2019
In reply to White2505:

How about this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20111112090716/http://www.exmoor92.fsnet.co.uk/...

The entry on the UKC database suggests South West Climbs vol 2, which may be preferable to low res photos on an archived webpage

OP White2505 27 Aug 2019
In reply to Suncream:

Thanks for that.

Even low res is better than nothing.

Can anyone confirm the south West climbs volume 2 definitely has it in there?

Ukc reckons its in the north devon guide and it definitely isn't because I've got it.

Don't want to buy the guide specifically for this info if it isn't in there.

Ian Parsons 27 Aug 2019
In reply to White2505:

> Can anyone confirm the south West climbs volume 2 definitely has it in there?

Yes; it's definitely in Littlejohn's 2014 South West Climbs volume 2 - in the Exmoor Coast section [which actually strays into Somerset with Hurlstone Point]. It is, of course, a selected guide rather than definitive; it contains sixteen routes in the Valley of Rocks area of which eight are down on the underlying sea cliffs of The Yellow Stone and Wringcliff Bay - the latter generally occupying a higher grade range than that found on the landbound crags up above [Devil's Cheesewring, Castle Rock, etc].

Ian Parnell 27 Aug 2019
In reply to White2505:

SW Climbs Vol 2 has 34 pages on the Exmoor Coast and as far as I know is the only main stream printed guidebook with Exmoor climbing info. It isn't a definitive guide to the coast and includes only 3 areas - Hurlstone Point - enjoyable culm style slabs (diff-E1) and a couple of short v steep E4-6s, Sir Roberts Chair - steep slab face E1-E5, and Valley of the Rocks. Valley of the Rocks is the only one I really know - having down half a dozen first ascents there. It can be split into 3 types of climbing - the summit rocks which feel like dartmoor tors with short routes S - HVS, The Yellow stone - a single pitch sea cliff with reasonably protected routes on almost normal rock from E1-E6, and the surrounding bigger multipitch sea cliff lines which range from mildly to extremely adventurous due to the rock quality grades range from HVS to HXS/E5. You are highly unlikely to meet any other climbers and I personally found the climbing experience to be unique and highly memorable

phizz4 27 Aug 2019
In reply to White2505:

How up to date does it need to be? It is in the Climber's Club North Devon and Cornwall. by Iain Peters. 1988!

petegunn 27 Aug 2019
In reply to White2505:

Ukc has it wrong but it is in the

North Devon and Cornwall CC guide by Iain Peters 

OP White2505 27 Aug 2019
In reply to White2505:

Thanks everyone, I've obviously got the more up to date north devon guide them because it misses Valley of the rocks completely.

Will keep an eye out for a dirt cheap 88 version on fleabay.

May pick up the littlejohn guide in due course aswell.

Thanks all 👍

Deadeye 27 Aug 2019
In reply to White2505:

I have the older guide.  I can scan a few pages if you are clear where you're going?

alan moore 28 Aug 2019
In reply to petegunn:

> North Devon and Cornwall CC guide by Iain Peters 

which the best best guide book ever.....

ROFFER 30 Aug 2019
In reply to White2505:

Struggling......not......to.......be.......a.......massive......pedant.....! Its no good I've got to say it. Its The Valley of Rocks, only one "The" and its at the beginning.

I'll get my coat.

Pay Attention 31 Aug 2019
In reply to ROFFER:

>  Its The Valley of Rocks, only one "The" and its at the beginning.

You're not a pedant at all.

Otherwise you'd have used the 'postrophe both times you wrote "its" and meant "it's".

Happy to help

Post edited at 11:09
 Greenbanks 01 Sep 2019
In reply to Pay Attention:

Shouldn’t you be using a full stop instead of an emoticon to end your sentence?

And shouldn’t I get out more?

Greenbanks 01 Sep 2019
In reply to alan moore:

I'd certainly put it up there...

To the OP. I've got that guide (1988, Peters) & happy to send copies of the relevant pages if you're still not sorted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...