Useful weather app?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stob Dearg 02 Mar 2023

Now the bbc weather app has gone behind a privacy-bust-registration-wall what other weather apps can be used for similar functionality?

yr.no's one is a bit clunky for me and annoys by defaulting to a picture of the sky rather than the forecast!

Dark-Cloud 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

What do you mean? BBC Weather App works fine on my iPhone?

deepsoup 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

Met-Office would be the obvious choice I think.

Bob Kemp 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

I think the default view in Yr must be a setting somewhere - I get the ‘Table’ view by default, but don’t remember how I changed it. 
Edit - just looked and it’s the first item in the settings, Start Page. 

Post edited at 10:20
 toad 02 Mar 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Never had a problem with it. Si.ple and usually reliable. BBC Forecasts do seem to have gone downhill. Maybe due to meteogroup models?

ianstevens 02 Mar 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

> Met-Office would be the obvious choice I think.

Honestly I don't understand why anyone uses anything else in the UK.

wjcdean 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

meteoblue is very good

ChrisJD 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

Just use Windy

Graeme G 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

I'm not sure what the issue is. I have a similar situation as you. However my partners iphone can still use the BBC App as per usual.

Really annoying as it's quite a good app fro a quick check of the weather in particular locations.

Post edited at 12:37
 mrphilipoldham 02 Mar 2023
In reply to ChrisJD:

Seconded.

nniff 02 Mar 2023
In reply to ChrisJD:

> Just use Windy

And if you use it on a PC you can get all the models to display at the same time (and they provide guidance on the areas for which the models are optimised)

And on both phone and PC, if you zoom in you get really detailed topo maps (contour lines and buildings level)

ebdon 02 Mar 2023
In reply to nniff:

You can also get the model comparison on the phone app if you click on the forcast model name under the forcast. Very useful.

ChrisJD 02 Mar 2023
In reply to nniff & Ebdon:

The weather radar implementation is also the best I've seen on a phone app or PC; use it most days and great when away in Europe to see what's coming over that hill.

deepsoup 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Graeme G:

> I'm not sure what the issue is. I have a similar situation as you. However my partners iphone can still use the BBC App as per usual.

I don't know but it has always been an option to sign in, it's just that it has recently become compulsory.  Perhaps your parter was already signed in and therefore hasn't been nagged to do so.

I've kept the BBC app and just signed in.  I barely use it anyway, so I'm not too concerned about someone somewhere being able to collate which weather forecasts I look at with what I listen to on BBC Sounds (or watch on iPlayer). 

Most of the time I just use the Met Office, it's a better app than the BBC's anyway imo.

Graeme G 02 Mar 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

> Perhaps your parter was already signed in and therefore hasn't been nagged to do so.

She's def not signed in. It's either a bug or a new feature.

> Most of the time I just use the Met Office, it's a better app than the BBC's anyway imo.

I'll maybe look at the Met Office one. Thanks.

deepsoup 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Graeme G:

Sans-Plan (above) says it's working fine on a iPhone, maybe the Apple version is different to the Android.

Graeme G 02 Mar 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

That’s the weird thing, we’re both on iPhones. No idea what’s going on. 

In reply to Graeme G:

Is it not like they did with iPlayer and staggered the requirement for signing in? I had some devices that needed to sign in long before my last device that ultimately needed to be signed in. 

Soon you will not be able to listen to any BBC internet radio without being signed in.

Graeme G 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Maybe. Major bummer, can’t be arsed with this sign in nonsense.

elliot.baker 02 Mar 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

I have to check all of them for the one showing the weather report closest to the weather report I want to see!! 🤣

Robert Durran 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

> Now the bbc weather app has gone behind a privacy-bust-registration-wall what other weather apps can be used for similar functionality?

I just use the bbc weather website on my phone. Is there any difference?

Graeme G 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

The app is better graphics for individual towns IMO

climberchristy 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

I use BBC app and met office app just to compare the two. However, the met office app turns out to be more accurate 9 times out of 10. So, if I was choosing just one...met office without a doubt. 

birdie num num 02 Mar 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

MMWeather.net gives you real time data (wind speed/gust, pressure, cloud data etc) at various offshore locations around the coast. It's current data and reflects the conditions ashore in the locality to some extent.

Met office UK weather map online has always been my go-to. They recently updated the app though and spoiled a good thing in my opinion. The previous maps were far more detailed and zoom able. Nevertheless, it's still my go-to as a reliable tool.

Bulls Crack 03 Mar 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

WX Charts every time ......just waiting for that Beast from the East! 

nniff 03 Mar 2023
In reply to ebdon:

> You can also get the model comparison on the phone app if you click on the forcast model name under the forcast. Very useful.

Ooh! So you can! Thanks for that!

Phil Lyon 03 Mar 2023
In reply to elliot.baker:

I always shop around multiple forecasts too.

steveshaking 03 Mar 2023
In reply to Stob Dearg:

There's the mountain weather UK app. , Very good, summit by summit and at different altitudes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...