Undeveloped crags in the North Bristol area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samben6 11 Aug 2022

Hello, 

I was wondering if anyone knew of any undeveloped crags for climbing or bouldering in the Bristol area, preferably North of it rather than South. Any info appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Sam

deacondeacon 11 Aug 2022
In reply to samben6:

It's your job to find them 😉

Olaf Prot 11 Aug 2022
In reply to samben6:

Yeah, there's a mile or so of pocketed limestone, about 50m high on average, in the Stoke Park Estate. As far as I know it's never been climbed on and apparently the land owner is OK with having it bolted, so long as the work doesn't start before April next year...

OP samben6 11 Aug 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

Yeah, I suppose so. Just never done anything like this before so not really sure where to start, where it's allowed etc

In reply to samben6:

What do you mean undeveloped?  There are several minor crags North of Bristol but they are all historically trad to the best of my knowledge. Personally I found them somewhat underwhelming but they are listed on the crags database and there are one or two routes that are quite good albeit short lived and a little vegetated.

Gordonbp 11 Aug 2022
In reply to samben6:

If the weather conditions are right, you could try a winter ascent of St Michael's Hill.....

OP samben6 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Well, I'm basically just trying to find some more bouldering or roped climbing for us lot who are North of Bristol but not close to any substantial amount of routes, so could be new unclimbed rock or old forgotten rock. 

whenry 11 Aug 2022
In reply to samben6:

It's not too hard to get to Avon Gorge or Wintour's from North Bristol!

OP samben6 11 Aug 2022
In reply to whenry:

Yeah, I'd love to climb in Avon Gorge but I've got nothing in the sorts of trad gear nor a partner, so I'm mainly stuck on sport routes that I feel alright with soloing, or bouldering. 

In reply to samben6:

So in affect a grotty, little, overgrown, little visited venue with not too many routes? There is very little unclimbed rock in the UK but as I have already alluded to there are several less popular crags North of Bristol on the UKC Database.

Get out an OS map and go exploring who knows you may discover an undiscovered hidden gem.

OP samben6 11 Aug 2022

Thanks, will do! 

Lhod 11 Aug 2022
In reply to samben6:

Given some of the utter shite that has been developed in N Bristol, I'd give the undeveloped stuff a miss!

On a more serious note, developing a sport crag (which sounds like what you are after) is a much more complex proposition than trad or boulder, I would advise against it unless you really know what you're doing.

There's some fun little sport routes plus a handful of trad in Blaise Estate, and you may also enjoy the ring road boulders. 

The Pylon King 11 Aug 2022
In reply to Lhod:

> Given some of the utter shite that has been developed in N Bristol, I'd give the undeveloped stuff a miss!

Yeah nicely dismissive.

There is no certain outcome when developing places but thank god some people are making the effort in the first place.

Lhod 11 Aug 2022
In reply to The Pylon King:

I could give you several examples where the outcome would have been blindingly obvious from the start - all good if it's someone's local development project and they enjoy themselves, but no need to act wounded when other people don't think it's the new Ceuse.

mrphilipoldham 12 Aug 2022
In reply to samben6:

> so I'm mainly stuck on sport routes that I feel alright with soloing

Eh?

ericinbristol 12 Aug 2022
In reply to The Pylon King:

> Yeah nicely dismissive.

> There is no certain outcome when developing places but thank god some people are making the effort in the first place.

I want to a register a major vote of thanks to you, Guy, Gordon and co for your fantastic and immense work developing an incredible number of local venues, with loads of things to go at. I am having many happy days out with your 'Esoteric Bouldering in the Bristol Area' guidebook. 

In reply to samben6:

> Well, I'm basically just trying to find some more bouldering or roped climbing for us lot who are North of Bristol but not close to any substantial amount of routes, so could be new unclimbed rock or old forgotten rock. 

Hi Sam. Mark Davies (The Pylon King) has produced a superb 400 page guidebook called Esoteric Bouldering in the Bristol Region, including stuff north of Bristol. Also, check out the UKC database for Avon https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/?distance=40&location=51.454,%.... There is already an enormous amount to go at. 

Trying to develop/rediscover rock to climb on without extensive experience and diligent liaison with the British Mountaineering Council access reps and crag (re)developers who do have that experience locally is not a good idea. You could antagonise landowners and other users, and unknowingly destroy rare flora and habitats. This could lead to wider loss of access. 

Bobling 12 Aug 2022
In reply to ericinbristol:

Hear, hear! I meant to start a thread on exactly this but never got round to it.  Now if only I had some more time to get out and us the guidebook but it will come one day.  Thank you!

In reply to Gordonbp:

Emulating or even surpassing this great feat in London some years back:

https://www.rockandice.com/videos/climbing/climbing-the-north-face-of-the-u...

Gordonbp 12 Aug 2022

As opposed to Mick Fowler completing the first and only winter ascent  of St Pancras Station!

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/memories-of-extreme-cold-spell-in-1987...

OP samben6 12 Aug 2022

Yeah, I've got that guidebook, it's absolutely incredible and I'm loving the ring road boulders, but the majority of places I could only reach with 1.5h cycle, so was just trying to see if there's anything closer 

In reply to samben6:

Here are some suggestions that might help if you haven't got a car. You could post in 'Lifts and Partners' on here. Or join Avon Mountaineering Club. Or there are various Facebook groups for Bristol climbers. 

In reply to samben6:

I did not have any transport during my early years climbing but I still managed to get out into the Peak, North Wales and the Lake District most weekends and found it far more fulfilling than I would have done soloing in small, vegetated, loose, grotty quarries. Not that we climbed in anything like that back in the day, that's a recent phenomena.

Make the effort you will find it far more fun and rewarding.

Post edited at 15:40
OP samben6 12 Aug 2022

Well I'm 16 right now, so sadly isn't really an option due to stranger danger and all that, although I'm sure most climbers are fine. 

OP samben6 12 Aug 2022

How'd you manage that? 

In reply to samben6:

Bus, train, bycycle, hitching lifts.

leland stamper 12 Aug 2022

No boat?

The Pylon King 12 Aug 2022
In reply to Lhod:

> I could give you several examples where the outcome would have been blindingly obvious from the start - all good if it's someone's local development project and they enjoy themselves, but no need to act wounded when other people don't think it's the new Ceuse.

Out of interest, where?

Post edited at 21:32
 The Pylon King 12 Aug 2022

Thank you. Really appreciate that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...