Trowbarrow midgy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RM199 22 Jul 2020

As suggested is trowbarrow midgy. 

Guessing its sheltered? Will be going on a fairly still day

thoughts?

thanks

Si dH 22 Jul 2020
In reply to RM199:

There weren't any around last Sunday. It gets a lot of sun in places and there isn't much vegetation for them to breed in compared to a lot of crags. I don't know it well enough to know if you get them on a grey still day though. 

Post edited at 21:18
 petegunn 22 Jul 2020
In reply to RM199:

Like Si said it's a real sun trap, so unless your there in the late evening I doubt any will bother you. If bouldering the mosquitos can be worse than the midges. 

Post edited at 22:17
 Lankyman 22 Jul 2020
In reply to RM199:

Climbed there for decades and never encountered a midge, even at peak midge hell elsewhere. It can get the odd Mossie but not usually a problem.

Lankyman 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

I've just remembered that on occasion I'd get a few red spots/blotches around my midriff after climbing here. Other folks too also reported similarly. Not sure what the cause was but you'd often see those tiny bright red mites running around on the rocks whilst belaying at the top of Main and Assagai Walls. Also lots of pigeons and jackdaws nest in the cracks and they might harbour mites. Either way, not a major irritation unlike midges.

Jon Read 23 Jul 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Itchy red spots around the 'knicker line' is a classic sign of harvest mites. They are too small to see, they're not the red mites you see on rocks and brickwork. They are a resident of much of the limestone in the area, including Chapel Head and our garden!

Mark Harding 23 Jul 2020
In reply to RM199:

No midges at Trowbarrow and I've never experienced any problems with harvest mites. Mosquitoes are an issue though, particularly around Red Wall. This year doesn't seem quite as bad as usual, perhaps because of the dry spring.

Lankyman 26 Jul 2020
In reply to Mark Harding:

Interesting how the problem bugs vary around the Arnside Silverdale AONB. Never seem to encounter mossies anywhere except Trowbarrow occasionally. Perhaps its sheltered character and standing pools make it prone? Ticks can be a problem at the Upper and Pinnacle Crags on Warton Crag, also just walking around on the Crag itself. Personally, I've never encountered ticks elsewhere in the AONB. Midges never at all.

CurlyStevo 26 Jul 2020
In reply to RM199:

Midgies like acid soils not alkaline limestone soil

Lankyman 26 Jul 2020
In reply to CurlyStevo:

> Midgies like acid soils not alkaline limestone soil

It may not be as simple as that? There are many limestone crags in the Dales where I've been midged. Trow Gill springs to mind as one where it's been particularly bad. It's enclosed and surrounded by trees which doesn't help. When I was caving sometimes it would be so bad on the surface that I'd smear mud on my face to stop them biting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...