Troutdale Pinnacle on Bank Holiday Saturday... is it madness?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Georgert 26 Aug 2022

How busy can it be?

Going to park up tonight then try get to the route early for a quick tick... like racked up and at the base pre 8am.

Partner thinks it'll be reet but I can't shake the visions of 6-hour queues and hordes of guided parties. Am I overreacting? 

profitofdoom 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

I think 8 AM will be OK

Good luck 

deacondeacon 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

You'll be fine. If you're not the first people on it you'll be the second. Not like there's no alternatives to get stuck into up there anyway.

OP Georgert 26 Aug 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

> Not like there's no alternatives to get stuck into up there anyway.

This is true. On a bit of dog-in-van curfew tomorrow though (unfortunately), and hoping to sneak it in as part of a Classic Rock tick-off. Fingers crossed. 

coldfell 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

Our experience as locals is that the valley crags are surprisingly quiet on BH weekends, Especially during the school summer holidays. Everybody seems to be down on the water. You will almost certainly be fine at 8am! but no sun on the crag until after mid day.

will_mcmahon 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

Did it on August bank holiday a few years ago, was busy (especially that final pitch!) but we still managed it fine- second on the route I think. Should be good to go at that time as well.

In reply to Georgert:

Save it for the evening, it's a Saturday so most will be out during the day and heading home, enjoy the sunset. If you are collecting classics, head to Gillercoombe in the morning, when it is in the sun.

Greenbanks 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Great advice. Definitely do-able

Dave Cundy 26 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

Guided parties???  On Troutdale Pinnacle???  What ever is happening to the world...

When i lived in Lancashire, if we we had to go up to the Lakes for the bank holiday w/e,  we'd go to the most obscure place we could think of.  Not Troutdale Pinnacle.  I imagine that parking will be a bigger problem these days than queuing for the route.

In reply to Dave Cundy:

It is a short, very pleasant walk from the bowderstone car park

C Witter 27 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

You can guarantee someone will be on it; probably two parties with another at the base. There are some other good VS - E1 routes though, if it's busy. I think the Gillercombe Buttress in the morning and TP in the late afternoon suggestion is a good one  for Classic Rock ticks, but I would go somewhere else, e.g. the Napes, Pillar.

OP Georgert 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

Thanks for the input, all! Took the advice of the earlier responses and went for it. 

A wrong turn (first visit) took us up the approach to Great End Crag... so we really thought we'd be queuing once we made it to TP. But lo and behold, we had the entire crag to ourselves for the whole ascent.

Such a special route – and made all the more memorable thanks to the breathtaking views of Borrowdale on a sunny morning with not another climber in sight (until passing roughly 10 as we packed our kit / descended back to the valley!).

Post edited at 09:56

Cobra_Head 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

You did all that for one route?

OP Georgert 29 Aug 2022
In reply to Cobra_Head:

All what? 

Cobra_Head 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

Stayed overnight, got your gear to the crag....

OP Georgert 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> Stayed overnight, got your gear to the crag....

Are you trolling? 

jcw 30 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

And he has Ardverikie Wall on his wish list. That'll be the day!

OP Georgert 30 Aug 2022
In reply to jcw:

Imagine! That one might need *two* overnight stays... 

Cobra_Head 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Georgert:

> Are you trolling? 

'Fraid not. I can't imagine putting my harness on for one route, especially when there's lots of other good routes right next door. It just seems weird to me that you 'd climb one route and call it a day.

Maybe it's because we have to travel to climb anywhere.

Unless we get rained of we're there all day.

Cobra_Head 31 Aug 2022
In reply to jcw:

> And he has Ardverikie Wall on his wish list. That'll be the day!

Why's that?

OP Georgert 31 Aug 2022
In reply to Cobra_Head:

So given the choice of climbing for two hours or not at all you'd sack it off? Cool, glad we've got that cleared up. Thanks for your valid input in an otherwise very helpful thread about ticking a (mega) Classic Rock route under time constraints. There's always one on UKC, eh? 

Cobra_Head 01 Sep 2022
In reply to Georgert:

> So given the choice of climbing for two hours or not at all you'd sack it off? Cool, glad we've got that cleared up. Thanks for your valid input in an otherwise very helpful thread about ticking a (mega) Classic Rock route under time constraints. There's always one on UKC, eh? 

👍

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...