Trip Report - Fionaven & the NW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A friend and I recently returned from a week long trip out to the north west Highlands. Somehow we managed to get the only weeks worth of sunshine so far this summer. We climbed a few sea stacks and also spent a bit of time unraveling the secrets of the Foinaven cliffs. For anybody that's interested there are some words and photos on my blog here

https://wainwrightclimbing.blogspot.com/2019/06/a-week-of-wild.html

Thanks! 

profitofdoom 07 Jun 2019
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

> A friend and I recently returned from a week long trip out to the north west Highlands.  

A nice report and photos, thanks, I enjoyed it, I hope you can post more after more trips

steveb2006 07 Jun 2019

Good write up. Was on Foinaven recently but just walking. Great place. Wondered if you were tempted by Millenium. Get the impression its quite tough for E2.

French Erick 07 Jun 2019
In reply to steveb2006:

Well, it's tough on the head but not the climbing. The crux IMO isn't the 5c pitch which is very straightforward but P2 which is chossy ground with proper 5b climbing. One unavoidable hold is completly moveable (and seemingly encased?). 

It is a great climb, in a great location but not one for people easily spooked. If you are after an adventure I would recommend it: if your idea of climbing fun is solid rock with bomber gear every meter and a half you should look elsewhere.

French Erick 07 Jun 2019

Looks like an amazing and well timed week. That glen up to Lord Ray's seat is something else, isn't it? I have never climbed there in summer but could just about consider it... afterall, someone's got to

oscaig 07 Jun 2019

Superb write-up Samuel and great photos. Really enjoyed that, thanks.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It was such an amazing place, a real privilege to spend some much time there! 

In reply to French Erick:

We did have a look at Millennium before we walked out but after so much in the days preceding we were a bit knackered. The crux pitch is probably also beyond me to lead so would have put a fair wack of pressure on my partner! Maybe next time...  

DaveHK 10 Jun 2019
In reply to French Erick:

> Well, it's tough on the head but not the climbing. The crux IMO isn't the 5c pitch which is very straightforward but P2 which is chossy ground with proper 5b climbing. One unavoidable hold is completly moveable (and seemingly encased?). 

I remember placing a cam in a crack one side of which looked like a deck of cards balanced on edge!

Post edited at 18:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...