Training Courses for Trad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 18 Jul 2019

My son (24) has been climbing off an on for years, but is starting to get more seriously interested. I'm just one mass of self-taught bad habits, so I wondered if anyone has opinions on training courses he might go on (he also has a birthday coming up!)

E.g. the 2 day P-y-B leading courses - anyone been? Recommend or otherwise? Suggest alternatives? 

jezb1 18 Jul 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Well I can suggest myself! Http://www.jbmountainskills.co.uk

Theres loads of good independents around, that way you know who you’re getting.

Post edited at 10:45
 inglesp 18 Jul 2019

Can recommend the 2-day leading courses at PyB -- I learnt a lot and the instruction was well suited to our background and needs.  It was everything I expected from a place with PyB's reputation.

Can also recommend jezb1, who I've met once while he was mentoring an MIA trainee I was out with.  He came across as competent, interesting, and interested.

two_tapirs 18 Jul 2019

another vote for PYB; we took the 2 day course and it was ideal for teaching us that basics before heading outside on our own

asteclaru 18 Jul 2019

I'm a bit of a 'PyB regular', having done probably more than a dozen courses there in the last couple of years.

There are 2 main reasons I keep going back:

1. It's super convenient: I don't have a car and hiring one for a weekend works out roughly the same as a 2-day course at PyB because of the dreaded young drivers surcharge. I also don't have a regular climbing partner and find trusting complete strangers enough to go climbing with quite hard, so I prefer doing weekend courses and not have to worry about finding a partner, driving from London and so on. PyB have a shuttle service from Llandudno Junction train station, so it's very accessible: 3 hour train ride from London, get picked up from the station, have a weekend of worry-free climbing, get dropped back to the station, 3 hour train ride back to London.

2. Every instructor I've worked with has been brilliant. They all know their stuff and are super friendly. I've never had a bad experience there and I've probably worked with over 15 of their instructors over the time.

As I run out of courses to do, I will have to eventually get a car and find a regular climbing partner, but for now this works for me.

Now, back to your question: although I haven't done the 2 day leading course, I have recommended it to a friend, and he was very happy with it.

Personally I did the 5 day leading course instead, and, if your son has the time and you're willing to increase your budget for it, I would recommend that he does that one instead, simply because you get a lot more time on lead, learning how to judge your gear, build belays etc.

Either way, I'm sure he'll have a great time and learn loads.

TL;DR : PyB is great, go for it!

Fiona Reid 18 Jul 2019

Depending on what your son wants to learn and what he already knows, paying for a day or two with an MIA (or the new equivalent) might be the most efficient way, although it might work out better if there's 2 people and not just your son. 

We did that many years back to learn to lead for trad (we'd already done some leading on sport and indoors) as it meant we could tailor things exactly to our needs and not be taught stuff we didn't need (e.g. how to tie on, belay a leader,  put on a harness, how not to back clip etc). 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...