Totem cam seized up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 benjied 29 Jun 2022

I bought a black totem cam about a month ago and have probably used it on around 10 routes, including on day at gogarth about 2 weeks ago. It’s never taken any falls. After that I did my usual washing of all kit in fresh water and gave it a dash of lubricant. However going out last night for a few routes I found that three out of four lobes were stuck to the point I can’t get them moving despite spraying a ton of wd40 on them and really trying to work them…has anyone else had issues with these cams seizing so easily? Or might this be a defective unit? Any advice much appreciated

John1458 29 Jun 2022
In reply to benjied:

I've not owned a black totem, so can't comment specifically about them. I've owned the purple, green, red totem for 6 years though without issue. I've been careful to clean them well and lube the cables aswell as the lobes, treating them almost like bike gear/brake cables. 

Although I did have very similar happen to a pretty new DMM dragon size 4 a few years ago, within the first couple of months took it sea climbing, rinsed it, then it properly seized up. Took me ages with hot water to dissolve out the salt and free it up. Been fine for years since. 

I've never used WD40 on cams to free them up. Just lots of movement under running hot warm to get any gunk out/dissolve salt and get them moving. Dried and then a few drops of metolius cam lube with the excess wiped off. 

Maybe try hot water?

Post edited at 09:38
OP benjied 29 Jun 2022
In reply to John1458:

Thanks, will try your hot water trick and let you know if it works! Sound like it might be a similar issue to your dragon cam. I did wonder whether how compact everything is on the totem cam means I might need to do more thorough rinsing than with other cams which I’ve never had any issues beyond a little stickiness with even after 2 week trips climbing sea cliffs. Here’s hoping hot water does the job 

OP benjied 29 Jun 2022
In reply to John1458:

It worked!! And fast. Thanks so much John, will be sure to remember and pass this method on to anyone having similar issues in the future.

scott titt 29 Jun 2022
In reply to benjied:

As above, hot water. But for real magic add a teaspoon of washing detergent powder to a mug of boiling hot water and pop the cam in.

beardy mike 29 Jun 2022
In reply to benjied:

Bear in mind that the totem cam lobes are unanodised (which would provide an oxide layer to protect the aluminium from corrosion) and the axle will be a high carbon steel, which can also corrode fairly easily. They are not a great match for a salt water environment - it's why british brands use 17/4PH stainless for their axles and anodise their lobes! Most other brands are from countries where seacliff trad isn't really a thing...

OP benjied 29 Jun 2022
In reply to beardy mike:ah! I did wonder (at a far more laymans level) whether it might be something to do with the axle being more easily corroded than my other cams (all dmm or black diamond)…it seems like axle involved anyway for three out of four lobes to have been jammed. will make sure I get hot water dissolving any sea salt ingress ASAP on future sea cliff trips, maybe as soon as I get back to the van instead of home.

beardy mike 29 Jun 2022
In reply to benjied:

BD I believe are also high carbon, unless they have changed that in the latest incarnation, but also have looser tolerances on the lobes and are of course anodised. Looser tolerance means you will simply have more space for corrosion to not interfere and seize. Lots of factors at play!

laughitup 29 Jun 2022
In reply to benjied:

GT85 or another Teflon/PTFE based lube is the one for this application. Wd40 is a penetrant and water displacer and not really designed for lubrication although can be useful to break initial friction. Teflon/PTFE lubes are ideal for this as they don't stay sticky like say a bike chain oil meaning that dirt and grime don't get stuck within the mechanism. It's what you are supposed to use on stiff locks for this exact reason. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...