The end of cheap climbing trips to Spain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john arran 23 Jul 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

It's the Daily Express, Robert. What on earth are you doing taking any notice of that?

OP Robert Durran 23 Jul 2022
In reply to john arran:

> It's the Daily Express, Robert. What on earth are you doing taking any notice of that?

I didn't think they would make up negative impacts of Brexit. Or are they just trying to whip up anti-Spanish sentiment?

Dave Ferguson 23 Jul 2022

another source, halfway down page here

https://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados/Manchester/en/ServiciosConsulares/...

more brexit benefits, wonderful

Post edited at 17:07
 john arran 23 Jul 2022

> I didn't think they would make up negative impacts of Brexit. Or are they just trying to whip up anti-Spanish sentiment?

Anti-EU in general, I'd say. Take something that routinely applies to people from all non-EU nations around the world (but probably is rarely enforced for those from Western counties) and portray it as targeted, spiteful behaviour, to further entrench Brexit foot-shooting resolve.

Ian Patterson 23 Jul 2022

Weird that this is suddenly a story since rules on having sufficient funds seem to have been around for some time e.g. (from May)

https://www.guidetocanaryislands.com/minimum-100-euros-per-day-travel-spain...

Also note that the rules all say 'may' require (not must as in the headline), these rules have been in place for years for 3rd countries (which UK now is) , are people from US for example having there finances checked on a regular basis?

The details in the article are also incorrect in that it says 100 euro per day plus 900 euros , its actually 100 per day with a minimum of 900 euro (i.e. 9 days worth).  In the ,probably unlikely, event that you did need to prove funds it appears a credit card with sufficient balance available is acceptable.

Also your thread title is obviously a bit disingenuous since this requirement has no impact on the actual amount that you might spend in Spain - I guess the only people who might risk being impacted are those looking to stay for close to the 90 day maximum who would theoretically need a fairly large balance available.

bpmclimb 23 Jul 2022

I was a bit alarmed by your thread title, before I realised you don't actually have to spend the money

OP Robert Durran 23 Jul 2022
In reply to bpmclimb:

> I was a bit alarmed by your thread title, before I realised you don't actually have to spend the money

Fair enough. I should have read it more carefully.

CantClimbTom 23 Jul 2022

So to go to Spain on a holiday you might have to show you have a return ticket and means to support your stay, like a bank or credit card. Doesn't sound like the "end of cheap climbing trips" just sounds like an additional bureaucratic box to tick on some online form

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...