The Cobbler - best places to camp?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 C Witter 23 Jul 2019

The Cobbler

I'm planning a trip to the Cobbler in August, possibly by public transport (train to Arrochar and Tarbet station).

I've previously camped at a dank camp/caravan site behind a petrol station at the tip of Loch Long, where the toilet block is locked and you're ringed in on all sides by static caravans. Quite a creepy place...

Apart from wild camping, can anyone recommend a better campsite? Ideally with a good pub in walking distance and setting you up for a walk to the Cobbler. 

Thanks a lot in advance!

OP C Witter 23 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

Alternative query: any other recommended places to trad climb classic routes, within quick range of Glasgow, travelling by public transport? Arran was also on my mind, but other recommendations are very welcome.

Post edited at 16:52
 subtle 23 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

For Cobbler best bet is wild camping.

Other alternatives, using public transport from Glasgow, include Arran, Glencoe (by bus) or Fort William (by train), or closer to Glasgow would be Dumbarton - depends on your grade though.

Good luck with the midges, enjoy your trip.

OP C Witter 23 Jul 2019
In reply to subtle:

Thanks for that. Perhaps Arran would be better for midges...! I'd somehow forgotten those little blighters, despite having been bitten only last night in a Lancashire quarry...

jonnie3430 23 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

Glencoe, bus from Great Western Road to kingshouse for free camping across the river and classic climbs on buachaille etive not!

DH3631 24 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

Polney / cave crag at Dunkeld also worth considering, accessible by train (also inveness bus I think) from Glasgow, then a fairly modest walk. 

jonnie3430 25 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

Have a reply for the cobbler in hindsight too. If you haven't read "always a little bit further," by Alistair Borthwick on 1930s getting out into the Highlands, you should, and be aware of the caves at Succoth that they used to bivvy in. I'd recommend there for historical reasons.

OP C Witter 25 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

Thanks for the suggestions Jonnie and DH - food for thought!

Mick Ward 25 Jul 2019
In reply to jonnie3430:

>  If you haven't read "always a little bit further," by Alistair Borthwick on 1930s getting out into the Highlands, you should...

Agree - an absolute classic.

The ascent of the Inn Pinn...  the hitchhiking 'advanced tactics'...  the singing in the Youth Hostel... the wee epic on the Buachaille - just beautiful. The OP would love it.

Mick

OP C Witter 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Mick Ward:

Sounds good - with that recommendation, it's definitely on the list!
C

In reply to C Witter:

There is a mini, shelter stone type boulder in the cobbler corrie. Might save you carrying a tent. Sleeps 2, although It must be 25 years since I slept there so I don't know what state it's in.

NB, it's not the same boulders as the narnain boulders on the approach path.

Camping on the flat area beside the path, below cir mhor on Arran might also be an option for you.

Pefa 29 Jul 2019
In reply to Colin McKerrell:

15 years since me and a pal slept in that wee nook which is basically just high enough to sleep in if I remember right. You can lie and watch the mist roll down in between the black columns of rock high above you like something out of a Hammer Horror I remember.its OK for a kip and early start on the climbs. 

Post edited at 17:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...