Student survey on climbing and mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mr_Whiskas 18 Nov 2019

I am Milo Brind, a year final student on Product Design BSc Product Design at the University of Huddersfield. I am undertaking research on the issues experienced during mountaineering activities and with permission from UKClimbing would value a response to my questions concerning mountaineering as you have experience in this area. By answering the question, you are agreeing to my using your comments for evaluation. All responses will be anonymised and only viewed by the course tutors and external examiner. If you would like a copy of the section of the report that looks at mountaineering or the research obtained you can contact me at u1654284@hud.ac.uk or contact my tutor, Caterina Benincasa-Sharman on c.a.benincasa@hud.ac.uk

This survey will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. The survey has three sections, the first, to answer demographics, the second for climbing related questions and the third for hiking. There is one question at the end that is very general. For those that either section doesn't apply to, you can leave the section blank. However as much participation as possible is very appreciated.

Questionnaire: https://forms.gle/eLmD7HDWuQFWJKRx8

Doug 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

maybe you could have tested the questionnaire first on some friends/fellow students as I suspect English isn't your first language, eg what does 

"How could climbing be made more inclusive to you?" mean ?

"Skree" ? (scree I imagine)

Also, note many of us have been climbing for decades, so questions such as 'have you ever retired any gear' are a bit odd,  a maximum of >5 years is also very short & I suspect you might get different answers from 10 years experience & 40 years

But good luck

Jon Read 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

"All responses will be anonymised and only viewed by the course tutors and external examiner. "

Erm, I presume you will look at them too? 

Mr_Whiskas 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Doug:

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the feedback! In reference to the inclusivity question it's about do you feel left out of any activities in any way.

As for skree yes that my bad, it's supposed to be scree.

I wanted to get a range of abilities, beginner, intermediate and advanced. Being <1, 2-4 and 5+ years respectively.

Thank you again for the response!

toad 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

I've been climbing for 30 odd yrs and rarely (ever) get beyond sev/vs on a good day. Advanced? Thanks for the ego boost, but maybe not.

profitofdoom 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

Done, good luck Milo

Michael Gordon 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

The length of time which someone has been climbing bears only a small relation to their technical ability. As a measure, it's fairly worthless!

Mark Kemball 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

Done.

In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

Q: Have you ever injured your self climbing? If, yes please state the nature of the incident (not required).
A: If yes, you can't write any text

jcw 18 Nov 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

Are you seriously saying that a survey like this is of a level to satisfy a B.Sc course  at the University of Huddersfield?

Post edited at 23:42
 John Gresty 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

With all these surveys I've often wondered if the survey itself is the project, with no intention of taking any actions on the responses, except to measure how many were received and how relevant they were.

John

Derry 19 Nov 2019
In reply to John Gresty:

> With all these surveys I've often wondered if the survey itself is the project, with no intention of taking any actions on the responses, except to measure how many were received and how relevant they were.

I have to agree. The questions in here were so generic and widespread I have no idea how the methodology could contribute towards a product design degree. Everything from why you climb, indoors vs outdoors, injuries, wall features etc etc.

Anyway; done, and good luck.

I look forward to the next one we can all analyse! 

henwardian 19 Nov 2019
In reply to John Gresty:

Close. It's a psychology project. The aim is to determine what percentage of people will willingly do data entry for free just because they read something asking them to. Mr Whiskas is going to compare number of survey responses with number of views of the UKC thread

nwclimber 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

Done.

Marek 19 Nov 2019
In reply to henwardian:

Standard practice if you want good quality data from a questionnaire - you NEVER explain why you are collecting the data or how you will analyse it, since that inevitably causes the responders to bias their answers. In fact a well constructed questionnaire (rare in the wild and hard to do) will have a significant proportion of random questions specifically to disguise the questioners motivation and intent.

tlouth7 19 Nov 2019
In reply to Marek:

Even the title matters; if the post is titled "Product Survey for Magic New Clipstick/Soundsystem" I will immediately be answering every question in the way that I think would most discourage the OP from developing such a product.

OP I'm afraid I have hit my quota for surveys this week, have you considered a focus group?

VinnyW 20 Nov 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

Done.

Basemetal 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

I was wondering what this question meant... "If you could have any climbing related product on a regular occasion, real or not, what would it be?"

A "Get to the top of the route now button" would be handy.

bouldery bits 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Mr_Whiskas:

I've done your survey. What you hope to gather from such vaguery I haven't the foggiest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...