Student Survey on Climber Habit and Frustrations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
L0zMcG 28 Oct 2019

[Repost]

Greetings! I am Lauren McGuire, a year 4th year student on Product Design BA / BSc Product Design at the University of Huddersfield. 'Posted with permission of UKClimbing', I am undertaking research on problems rock climbers are facing and would value a response to my questions concerning climbing habits and opinions as you have experience in this area. By answering the questions, you are agreeing to my using your comments for evaluation. All responses will be anonymized and only viewed by the course tutors and external examiner. If you would like a copy of the section of the report that looks at Climber Habits and Frustrations you can request it in this thread. 

The link to the google form is below:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeSQ_rjTkv5t9nOjjiFWLTTJTicT-xvvTe...

Thanks for your time and effort, the survey should take no longer than 10 minutes to complete.

Doug 28 Oct 2019
In reply to L0zMcG:

Déjà vu ?

robert-hutton 28 Oct 2019
In reply to L0zMcG:

Done

gravy 28 Oct 2019

Can't complete the form is buggered:

What affects this decision? (Please rank 1-7, with 1 being the most important) *

"Please don't select more than one response per column"

I suppose this is supposed to say "don't select more than one response per ROW" but in any event the error occurs regardless of where I do or don't tick.

dsh 28 Oct 2019
In reply to gravy:

> Can't complete the form is buggered:

> What affects this decision? (Please rank 1-7, with 1 being the most important) *

> "Please don't select more than one response per column"

> I suppose this is supposed to say "don't select more than one response per ROW" but in any event the error occurs regardless of where I do or don't tick.

It works fine, you're ranking the reasons in order from 1 - 7 so you can only select one for each number. Only one per column.

McHeath 28 Oct 2019
In reply to dsh:

Being forced to rank 1-7 was criticised in the first thread (why's it been removed?). I climb mostly indoors, for the sole reason that the nearest rock ist 2 hours' drive away. I'd have given this reason a 1 and the rest 7, which means that 5 of my 7 rankings are skewing the results.

L0zMcG 28 Oct 2019
In reply to McHeath:

I understand while this question may not be as relevant to you, but the whole point of it is it is forcing a choice.

The ranking is to take into consideration ALL the factors that may be at play which, for others, may be more than one.

jimtitt 28 Oct 2019
In reply to L0zMcG:

Either I don't understand or you don't, you want to force us to give a weighting order to opinions we don't have so you can give them an invented ranking? What on earth is is the sense in that, it gives you the wrong results?

L0zMcG 28 Oct 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

No I see what you are getting at, if say 'cost of travel' and 'distance' doesn't factor into your decision making then you can't rank them both equally as low.

All I am asking is if, in an extreme case, you had to make a decision based on these two factors alone.. what would weight the most? 

jimtitt 28 Oct 2019
In reply to L0zMcG:

But I'm not in an extreme situation. Shall we make up the rest of the answers as well?

L0zMcG 28 Oct 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Answer how you see best. I can't cater to all.

Thanks for your time and feedback though  

Martin Haworth 28 Oct 2019
In reply to jimtitt:

Give her a break, if you don't like the questionnaire then don't bother filling it in.

jimtitt 28 Oct 2019
In reply to Martin Haworth:

> Give her a break, if you don't like the questionnaire then don't bother filling it in.

Sorry, didn't realise we weren't supposed to help students by pointing out why we can't fill out their surveys.

Removed User 28 Oct 2019
In reply to L0zMcG:

done 

TFL

Duncan Bourne 28 Oct 2019
In reply to L0zMcG:

Done

Michael Gordon 28 Oct 2019
In reply to L0zMcG:

This is daft. There's only one thing affecting my decision to climb outdoor mainly rather than indoor - personal preference! The other things don't come into it at all.

Paul16 28 Oct 2019
In reply to L0zMcG:

I tried but can't get past that grid with 1-7 rated responses asking why I climb more indoors/outdoors. I select one per row then it tells me not to select more than one per row. The form wouldn't let me select more than one anyway but still gives the error!

Might be a mobile thing.

bpmclimb 28 Oct 2019
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> This is daft. There's only one thing affecting my decision to climb outdoor mainly rather than indoor - personal preference! The other things don't come into it at all.

Completely agree (except perhaps for the weather, which might score a bit).

I also take exception to the age bands: they're fairly typical of those chosen by young students in these surveys, who (apparently) can't imagine any further progression, or any further evolution in thinking, beyond that achieved in 5 years. The implication is that for the purposes of the survey there's no difference between climbers of 5 and, say, 30 years experience. Patently absurd!

Sorry, I couldn't finish the survey - it's too badly designed.

robert-hutton 28 Oct 2019
In reply to Paul16:

Yes you need to scroll the 7 Column selector as end three rows don't show on mobile

tehmarks 28 Oct 2019
In reply to Martin Haworth:

There are some very capable people on this forum. It'd be a shame if they just didn't bother, rather than give feedback which might help the OP design something more meaningful.

Martin Haworth 28 Oct 2019
In reply to tehmarks: I agree with you it is useful to give feedback and be helpful. It was just the patronising tone of the response that I took issue with, or at least that's how I read it.

Ive seen a lot of helpful and technically knowledgeable responses from Jim Titt in the past, this didn't seem to fit his usual tone.

Alkis 28 Oct 2019
In reply to L0zMcG:

Unfortunately, my responses felt too manufactured to be of any use other than for skewing the data, so I did not submit. There are too many gaps in the questions that I feel stem from a student’s perspective on how climbing fits around life.

For example, if I had to rank the reasons I mainly climb indoors, in terms of number of sessions a year, it would be:

1. Weather - the obvious one

2. Real life obligations, ie. work - in the winter months I tend to boulder after work. If I have loads of deadlines and finish work late, a night bouldering session outside would bring me into the early hours of the morning.

3. Availability of partners - belayers for roped stuff, spotters if bouldering. Night bouldering on my own would be unwise.

4. Physical - am I fit enough for my outdoor projects at the moment? Do I have enough skin? Am I feeling 100%?

5. Personal preference - what am I psyched for right now?

6. Distance - I’m not far from the Peak but depending on the time of day I could end up adding two hours to my session downtime just getting to Stanage and back.

7. Haven’t got one for this slot.

Shoehorning my answers would skew the data in directions that do not reflect reality. That is inevitable to a certain extent but for future surveys you may develop it might be worth looking a bit wider than your circle. Of course, having been a student, I understand that the time you have available to come up with this stuff is generally less than ideal.

Either way, best of luck with your work, I’m sure you’ll get plenty enough data to work with!

McHeath 29 Oct 2019
In reply to L0zMcG:

Since your survey's about frustrations: here are a few I've experienced, starting with the most common:

Not being able to do a climb/move which I think I should be capable of

Having to cancel a trip to a crag because the weather forecast ist abysmal

Turning up at the wall to find that my pet project has been reset

Forced pause due to injury

Minor material failure which ends up having a major effect (broken zip, rucksack strap etc., leaking thermos, stepping on my glasses ... )

Two which have only happened once, but which spoiled whole holidays:

Arriving at a winter room in a remote part of the Tatra, and my partner discovers that he's forgotten his crampons 

Meeting up with my partner in the Alps for some big winter stuff and finding that he's brought a friend along who ist supposedly a very good alpinist ("We'll be safer as a rope of three"), but who turns out to be incredibly unfit and overweight

Hope this helps ...

Post edited at 08:59
L0zMcG 29 Oct 2019
In reply to McHeath:

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the extra time to do this, and this is very helpful! 

L0zMcG 29 Oct 2019
In reply to Alkis:

Thank you for your extra responses, and more importantly your elaboration! I know the answers may be too direct for some but, for the sake of time and analysis, I needed to be direct. The idea of this is a ballpark survey, and to use the responses for further interviews and focus groups. 

My research doesn't stop here, merely start..  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...