Street Illegal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BALD EAGLE 18 Oct 2004
Please can anyone help me locate a copy of Jim Perrin's
classic article on climbing Coronation Street called
"Street Illegal".
Many thanks
Dave
 Blinder 18 Oct 2004
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Try the, CC centenry jounral thingy, it is in there along with an explaination about the latin and why he did it.
 Mark Morris 18 Oct 2004
In reply to BALD EAGLE: It was published in a collection of his writings called, I believe, "On and Off the Rocks". Will check when I get home.

Mark
 sutty 18 Oct 2004
In reply to Mark Morris:

Correct, On and off the rocks, taken from CC journal 1978.
 Lewis climber 18 Oct 2004
In reply to BALD EAGLE: Think it was included in one of the anthologies "The games climbers play" or "Mirrors in the cliffs" (can't remember which). Both published by Baton Wicks.
OP BALD EAGLE 18 Oct 2004
In reply to Lewis climber:
Thanks for all your suggestions guys
Dave
MikeG 18 Oct 2004
In reply to Blinder: It was indeed published in the CC centenary Journal. It was actually published, some say naively, as an excellent little tale for which the editor forgot to include the footnotes which explained and justified Perrin's use of illicit substances and latin quotations - included in the original publication of the article. I believe he sued the CC for a tidy sum, a club which he was a member of. Something about defammation of character, he being the spotless soul that he always was.
Needless to say, the CC are a good few quid shorter than they should be.
Its a little bit ironic that a rebel of his time, indulging in substance misuse, quoting in latin and soloing what was and still is, an impressive extreme, ends up pursuing legal action through 'the system'. I wonder if he was really, honestly aggreived or whether the money was too much to resist? In real terms, the footnotes are undoubtedly insightful to the tale, but it begs the question of whether it was ever really necessary to justify himself....
try reading the CC journal version first if you get the chance and then saee if the originals any better.
MikeG 18 Oct 2004
In reply to BALD EAGLE: sorry forgot who started the thread. See above response to 'Blinder'.
Anonymous 18 Oct 2004
In reply to MikeG:

>I wonder if he was really, honestly aggreived or whether the money was too much to resist?

The former, surely. I've seen a lot of people litigate out of principle and none out of greed. It's a very expensive hobby.

jcm
MikeG 18 Oct 2004
In reply to Anonymous: Of course, of course. Dammit who would I be to suggest that the former was true and that there was a question of integrity in the issue? The man is without question beyond doubt and will find nothing I've suggested will offend him to a point of litigation...eh Jim?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...