Southern sandstone tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bleddynmawr 06 Jul 2020

Hi,

Not been climbing since lockdown. A bit nervous, so where do you think will be in condition and sparsely populated tomorrow?

many thanks.

yoshi.h 06 Jul 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

not ss

Hooo 06 Jul 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Every Southern sandstone crag, even the tiny obscure ones, have been rammed every single day since we were allowed out. You might as well go to Harrisons as it's no more crowded than anywhere else.

If it's been dry the day before I've been getting to the crag about 8am, then I leave about 11 when the hordes start arriving.

yoshi.h 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Hooo:

:/ harrison's is the worst of them all

Rich L 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Hooo:

Even Happy Valley and Toad Rocks?

I was toying with some doing some bouldering tomorrow. 

Trangia 06 Jul 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

Had rain down here yesterday and a bit overnight last night, so SS may not have dried out sufficiently by tomorrow. It tends to be localised rain, so not all crags necessarily getting it, but be prepared to abort and/or check elsewhere if you find the rock is still damp on arrival.

Forecast for both Wed and Thurs is iffy, but better thereafter.

Post edited at 19:43
 Fishmate 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Hooo:

> Every Southern sandstone crag, even the tiny obscure ones, have been rammed every single day since we were allowed out.

My first trip out after lockdown was at Harry's. It wasn't rammed on a beautiful day. My second trip out after lockdown was to Toad Rock's. I was the only climber there. I moved onto Happy Valley around 3pm and saw only one other couple on another stunning day. Not everywhere is rammed..

Hooo 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Fishmate:

I don't do bouldering, so I wouldn't know about those. Everywhere I've been where there's roped climbing has been super busy. People I spoke to at Bulls Hollow had never seen anything like it. There are notices out asking climbers to stay away from Eridge and Bassett's farm because they are far too busy. 

What time of day were you at Harrisons? It's been OK before 11 on my visits.

Post edited at 20:52
 Fishmate 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Hooo:

> What time of day were you at Harrisons? It's been OK before 11 on my visits.

Fair do's. There are routes and Toad and Happy, admittedly not perhaps the quality of Harry's. I was there from 11-5pm. There were probably about 50 people from the North Boulder down to Zig Zag Wall.

I did hear people were actually queueing to try problems on the North Boulder, which is a first, but I've spoken to quite a few friends who haven't found the routes crowded. Perhaps like Saturday's were 5 years ago. A healthy number but not a problem. It's good to know anyway. I have heard Stone Farm was rammed recently but Bowles is quiet in the evenings!

Have you been on most days?

Post edited at 22:14
 Hooo 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Fishmate:

Not so much recently. When the rules were first relaxed I was furloughed, so I was out most weekday mornings Now I'm back at work so it's once or twice a week in the evening. I try and avoid weekends.

I assumed Bowles would be horrific so I've stayed away, but I might give it a go now you've said that.

helix 07 Jul 2020
In reply to bleddynmawr:

You don’t need to worry about the rain, at this time of year it normally dries quickly, Harrison’s was bone dry last night.

But you do need to take care of the rock, and it’s true about the crowds, it has been pretty awful some of the time. I can’t blame people at all for wanting to try sandstone with their usual options unavailable, but please respect the local ethics, especially not lowering off.

PS have a great time!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...