Slap Tear - Biceps tenodesis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattmarc13 12 Feb 2020

I was hoping to call on the experiences of the many sufferers of shoulder injuries out there.  Have read a lot of the posts on the forum, and has been hugely helpful and informative.

I’ve had a shoulder injury for a couple of years now, and have had physio over that period, which has helped at times, but not resolved the issue. I decided to see a consultant, and after an MRI, have been diagnosed with SLAP tear and also anterior tear of labrum.

Symptoms of instability, aching, pain when climbing (and afterward) will be familiar to a lot of you. 
The consultant has recommended a biceps tenodesis, as I am 44 years old, and traditional SLAP repairs more likely to bring problems at my grand old age apparently.

The reason I am posting is that the surgeon has suggested that as well as a biceps tenodesis, he would repair the labrum.  I have only read of these procedures as ‘one or the other’ - SLAP repairs for the younger, biceps tenodesis for the older bunch.  But I guess even if it no longer has a biceps tendon attached, it still deep pens and stabilises the shoulder joint.

Would be great to hear if any of you had the procedure done in this way. Any info would be gratefully received. I know most of us aren’t medical people, but I like to get as much info as poss if I am planning an op, and I am sure you’re the same!

thanks

Matt

scott titt 12 Feb 2020
In reply to mattmarc13:

I had both done at the same time at age 65, incredibly successful. Get your shoulder as strong as possible before the op and follow the surgeon and physio instructions afterwards.

OP mattmarc13 13 Feb 2020
In reply to scott titt:

Thanks Scott, that's really good to know - there's no substitute to hearing from the people who have had it done.  How was the recovery, by the way?  The consultant I saw suggested 6+ months, but I guess that's down to a variety of factors, including the prehab.

scott titt 13 Feb 2020
In reply to mattmarc13:

I had tried to keep muscle  tone before the op which the surgeon liked. 

Post-op 4 weeks in a sling strapped to my chest, then 6 weeks physio. After that lots of exercises and started very light climbing 4 months post op, got clearance from the surgeon to start pulling hard at 6 months post op. Things started to feel fully normal after a year.

You will become an expert on theraband!

OP mattmarc13 17 Feb 2020
In reply to scott titt:

Argh yep, it sounds like wearing the sling is a month long slog!  It sounds like you recovered quickly though, and it went very well for you, which is really encouraging.  

I am going to have a second opinion on my shoulder next week, as it's a committing op, but I'm certain that surgery will be the way to go.  After reading about Len Funk a lot on UKC, I'm going to head up from London to see him, as he sounds like a top-notch surgeon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...