Sheeps Tor top rope anchors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 06dhewett 10 Jul 2020

Hi all,

I’m wanting to go to Sheepstor (Dartmoor) next week and wondered if anyone could advise on what’s needed for setting up anchors for top roping there - presumably there aren’t any bolts? I don’t own any trad gear . . .

Thanks! 

james mann 10 Jul 2020
In reply to 06dhewett:

Gear is needed for belays, as is a length of static rope and rope protectors. This is similar for virtually all of the crags on the top of the moor. 

James

jayjackson 11 Jul 2020
In reply to 06dhewett:

I’m running a BMC Ready to Rock Course (intro to trad climbing for indoor/sport climbers) at Sheeps Tor on Sat 18th. Could be useful - we cover the principles of trad gear and anchors - and well timed for you!

Feel free to drop me a line if you’d like to book a place...

info@climbcornwall.com

OP 06dhewett 11 Jul 2020
In reply to james mann:

Thanks, James. Hmm might need a rethink then - can you recommend any other crags in South Devon suitable for top roping off of fixed anchors please? I know Anstey’s Cove and Torbryan are setup for sport, not sure how well a top rope setup would work though . . .

OP 06dhewett 11 Jul 2020
In reply to jayjackson:

Many thanks, however I’m just visiting my parents for a few days so I won’t be around next weekend unfortunately - sounds fun though!

cb294 11 Jul 2020
In reply to 06dhewett:

I scrolled down the forums and read that as "Sheep for top rope anchors". Had already moved on a few entries before stopping and checking back...

CB

GrahamD 11 Jul 2020
In reply to 06dhewett:

Something to be aware of:  Even bolted crags might not fit your needs because lower off bolts are often not safely accessible from above.

AG1 11 Jul 2020

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...