Rhonda & Caerphilly Lockdowns

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Donotello 17 Sep 2020

Lockdowns in Rhondda Cynon Taf and Caerphilly essentially wipe out a huge amount of popular sport climbing venues, we were planning on going to Nav Quarry this weekend but it means driving through / into both counties so going to give it a miss. 

Im wondering though if this is just going to concentrate everyone into the Wye Valley and could potentially make a weekend ditty to a sport venue a bit riskier now. 

Wondering what any other locals are thinking about this as most weekends we drive from Bristol to climb in South Wales. And the valleys crags are always packed as it is. 

Don.

combatrock 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Wye valley has been packed since lockdown eased but yes I expect it to get even busier now. Social distance has been easy to maintain in my experience...but route-hogging, top roping through anchors and general unsafe behaviour has been harder to avoid unfortunately, what with the increase of people (people who are 'unaware of best practice' if I'm being generous, 'pig-ignorant' if I'm being less diplomatic).

I think (my geography is not 100%...) that Tirpentwys, Sirhowy, Taff's Well, Gilwern and Crymlyn are not in locked down areas. However, whether visiting areas on the edge of an area with an outbreak is the right thing to do is debatable... 

Post edited at 16:32
 Johnlenham 21 Sep 2020

I was in wood-croft on Saturday and it was the least busy ive seen it apart from one evening after work a few months back. 

The few people I did chat to were from up north and down visiting for the first time so just gave them some recommendations for their grades. 

Tirps was fairly busy Sunday but then again that place is always busy..

I cant really see it making a huge difference really. Just dont go with the expectation of climbing a specific route to save disappointment or go really early.  

cwarby 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Gilwern isn't and when I've been there (East and in the woods), we've been a lone 2'some. Not sure I'd bother with ..in the woods, but main East crag is worth a visit.

fammer 22 Sep 2020
In reply to cwarby:

Gilwern was mobbed weekend before last, we were the first party to arrive on Saturday, probably about 15 people at gilwern East when we left after lunch.

cwarby 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Donotello:

Just noticed a few more areas added including Blanau Gwent. My previous answer may be irrelevant. Hope you find somewhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...