Recommendations for family alps trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil79 07 Jun 2022

Hi,

After some recommendations for family friendly alpine locations. I've only been in the winter skiing, but keen to see what summer has to offer for family holiday, 2 weeks probably, with stop over somewhere on drive down and back.

Ideally would like with some easy-ish walking close by, potentially some swimming (rivers, lakes, pool), and some via ferrata or easy rock climbing suitable for kids (10 and 12, happy on easy routes).

Any obviously choices or areas I should consider? Would be looking to do it on a budget (as much as that is possible these days). Appreciate may have left it too late to book much accommodation for summer by now, but have been waiting for kids passports to be returned before looking!

Thanks   

abr1966 07 Jun 2022
In reply to Phil79:

Morzine was my choice when the kids were young....plenty of things to do, good public transport etc....

OP Phil79 07 Jun 2022
In reply to abr1966:

> Morzine was my choice when the kids were young....plenty of things to do, good public transport etc....

Thanks, thats pretty much the one place I've looked at thus far.

henwardian 07 Jun 2022
In reply to Phil79:

Typically I'd say something like the Austrian Alps (Tirol, Vorarlberg) or the Dolomites which would tick all your boxes except the "cheap" one. One of the issues you might have is that if you want to go somewhere cheap you are likely looking at somewhere further East (maybe Slovenia for example) but that in turn means that your drive will considerably longer and for a short holiday like 2 weeks it could seem like a bit chunk of time just for the journey.

Graeme G 07 Jun 2022
In reply to Phil79:

Annecy got my vote. 

Toerag 07 Jun 2022
In reply to henwardian:

> Typically I'd say something like the Austrian Alps (Tirol, Vorarlberg) or the Dolomites which would tick all your boxes except the "cheap" one.

I suspect the dollies or Austria will cheaper than France or Switzerland bar the additional travel cost.

To the OP - also consider German alps - Oberstdorf or Garmisch areas.  In my opinion German/Austrian/Dolly alps are great for kids because the summits are relatively low and accessible - in the French alps I found you'd invariably be accommodated down in the narrow valleys where all you can see is wooded slopes, the open higher levels were hidden behind 'false summits' and you'd have to get a cablecar up to see anything or walk above the treeline.

In reply to abr1966:

We have done Morzine with kids 4 x and are going again this year- it's a great base for everything you describe

monkey man 07 Jun 2022
In reply to Phil79:

No kids so a shovel of salt required but thought Pyrenees would be good for this when we went

coldfell 07 Jun 2022
In reply to Phil79:

Briancon area, especially the Municipal campsite nearby at Ailefroide, which is cheap as chips and outstanding ( as are all the municipal sites we have stayed in France.) The walking, scrambling and especially good via ferratas are amazing for families and there are water activities in the main Durance valley aplenty. Oh and lots of marmots!

Sealwife 07 Jun 2022
In reply to Phil79:

We had an excellent family trip a few years back based at the campsite at St Gervais.

My kids were around 7, 10 and 12 I think.

Campsite was roomy with well spaced tents, immaculate showers/loos and a good kids playground.

We bought passes which gave us access to uplift at St Gervais/Le Contamine which was great for doing mountain walks without exhausting small legs unaccustomed to steep stuff (and chairlifts are fun anyway).  It also gave access to the pool, ice-rink and mini-golf at St Gervais and some of the activities at Le Contamine such as the swimming lake which we used loads.  Had to pay extra for high-ropes/zip-wire course (they loved it) and pony trekking (hated it).

Loads other to do as well - trips to Chamonix, street markets, cragging etc

Wainers44 07 Jun 2022
In reply to Phil79:

We've had a couple of lovely summer hols in Les Carroz. Uplift running nearby for high level walks, Chamonix within striking distance and not too far from the airport at Geneva. 

We found a via cordatta near the village and went rafting in Sixt Fer a Cheval.

Other place we stayed was St Foy, near Tignes. Small and lovely village but we found ourselves driving out to Tignes or even Val D' Isere to find stuff to do.

We used Peak Retreats for the accommodation. Very good.

helix 07 Jun 2022
In reply to Phil79:

We had a great holiday in Ailefroide area when kids 7 or 8- via ferrata, rivers, lakes, easy sport, day walks up to refuges, bikes…..

Shapeshifter 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Phil79 

Another vote for Ailefroide, assuming you are OK with camping - the Ecrins region ticks all your boxes 

tallsteve 08 Jun 2022
In reply to Phil79:

Echo Austria.

Tignes used to offer free lift passes if you stayed in Tignes - this included the campsite. Its not on their website and I remember it took some squirelling out.  Maybe email tourist info.  It included the pool, sailing, free lifts, and other stuff.  If they stopped doing that then they do a "My Tignes" card for the summer https://en.tignes.net/activities/my-tignes which would be a super way to get kids into the  mountains.  Walking to a hut for a cola and beer is a great way to motivate walking days.

There's climbing, a VF (you can hire VF kit in tignes), bike hire, summer skiing, sailing, swimming, indoor climbing, a big slide thingy etc etc etc.

In reply to Phil79:

As a few other have said Briancon and around Ailefroide is great for Family stuff,

It gets the best weather in the alps, that helps with kids. there is massive range of activities, If you include Serre Poncon Lac (1.5h from Briancon) its 25km long and perfect for all water sports, the rivers are great for white water rafting. There are lots of smaller lakes for swimming nearby.

For the mountain stuff there is lots of walking at what ever level you like. At that age a walk to the glacier blanc refuge is perfect for the kids. There are lots of climbing venues that are perfect for kids. Also Lots of via ferrata for families as well. I have made a free Via Ferrata app guidebook to the area.

https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/écrins-briançon-via-ferrata/id1...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skiroute16.viaferrata.ecr...

or search Via Ferrata ecrins briancon app

I am currently working with 150 school kids here doing an activity week (excuse any spelling mistakes, I am a little tired) if you want any advice on crates or routes etc please ask.

Cheers Rob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...