Raeburn's Gully, Dumyat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stu7jokes 26 Aug 2019

Can anyone help me find it? I've found Cirque Gully, but not Raeburn's. Any pointers gratefully received.

Williecleuch 26 Aug 2019
In reply to stu7jokes:

Cirque is the large gully that is barely a scramble. Raeburn's lies maybe fifty metres down from Cirque on the same side of the glen. It can be identified by the large chockstone. Watch the top as the traverse is fun but with no protection, going directly up leads to grass and can be slippy. You'll have to hunt about for a belay or trust your partner not to slip. Have fun.

OP stu7jokes 26 Aug 2019
In reply to Williecleuch:

Thanks most kindly. Not quite sure how I missed it, then.

alan moore 26 Aug 2019
In reply to stu7jokes:

I thought it was the one to the right of Cirque; the one with a tree near the top.

Nobody knows is probably the true answer.

Dave Hewitt 26 Aug 2019
In reply to stu7jokes:

It's a shame there's so much gorse on that whole southern slope these days. A friend - now in his 80s - who was brought up in Blairlogie tells of various households in the village each having had a goat, and a goatherd being employed to collect milk from said creatures which roamed the steep slope and nibbled the gorse bushes before they had chance to grow. That stopped decades ago however, the gorse took over and all sorts of ways up the hill were lost.

IanMcC 26 Aug 2019
In reply to stu7jokes:

I think Williecleuch's description is correct. There is a desperate direct finish above the chockstone allegedly climbed by Geordie Skelton back in the day. I've climbed out by the poorly- protected slab up and left. JimSh on here soloed it in trainers many years ago. It's good fun if approached in the right spirit.

OP stu7jokes 27 Aug 2019
In reply to all:

Thanks, folks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...