Portland pissoir

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 seankenny 02 May 2021

After a good day at Portland on Saturday we returned to the car to be rewarded with a most pleasant sight: a couple of climbers trampling down the the verge so they could take a piss - in full view of the houses on Reap Lane. I managed to shout to them before the irreversible flow began, and persuaded them that the public toilet in the village might be a better bet. 

There really is no excuse for this type of behaviour and if I were a local and non-climber who saw this in front of my house, I’d certainly be pressuring my local councillors for a ban on climbing. 

Can the BMC access team put some information out for display in climbing walls around the south telling people not to be ignorant tw*ts? In a nice way, of course. 

Mark Kemball 02 May 2021
In reply to seankenny:

I'm noyt quite sure what we can do about such ignorant behaviour. However, I've sent a link to this thread to our access reps.

Marti999 Global Crag Moderator 02 May 2021
In reply to seankenny:

Thanks for standing up and pointing out the error of their ways and their inconsiderate behaviour.

It is and has been a problem on Portland recently. This and other inconsiderate behaviour has upset and provoked the locals in the last few years.

There are respect the rock videos available by The BMC. Also there have been messages and threads on social media recently, but its hard to get the message out to the selfish and ignorant.

I can only say that vigilance and intervention of explaining the error of their ways by the more considerate climbers (or normal peaple as I like to call them) is the most effective way.

Marti Hallett Dorset Access rep

OP seankenny 02 May 2021
In reply to Marti999:

Thanks Marti. Perhaps a poster for climbing walls in London, Bristol, Southampton, etc explaining quite clearly that access at Portland is at risk if people engage in certain behaviour? It shouldn't need spelling out, but I think it does!

Derry 02 May 2021
In reply to seankenny:

As someone who works in a busy area (of Dorset) and experiences anti-social behaviour on a daily basis throughout the summer, signs/posters are very easily ignored or forgotten about. Perhaps a less subtle method would be better to indoctrinate would-be offenders, such as when clubs/groups are travelling for their first taste. i.e. you don't just teach them about how to thread an anchor, or interpret a guidebook, but also a heavy emphasis on crag ethics and the countryside code. This could even be incorporated in the 'learn to lead' courses when said geographical groups are becoming more independent.

Anyone CWIs RCIs here from any climbing gyms do this already? 

Post edited at 15:06
 Jenny C 02 May 2021
In reply to seankenny:

Could guidebook writers include info on the nearest public toilets (or friendly cafe/attraction with facilities) as part of the crag description? 

Wouldn't help with the selfish idiots, but let's be honest we've all been caught short and public loos arent the easiest of things to find.

Post edited at 16:45
 AlanLittle 02 May 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

> we've all been caught short 

But surely/hopefully we've also all been taught to go somewhere discreet and not directly in front of somebody's window

Kevster 02 May 2021
In reply to Jenny C:

Find the toilet task in the guide. Like the gorillas in some rockfax..... for wet days at the crag fun. 

Unfortunately public toilets are not always as common as the number of people who need them. And I'm not sure saying you can use X cafes WC if you ask nice cos that's not really perfect. Tbh. Somewhere like Portland would benefit from more public WCs but funding and locations etc also need consideration. 

Neil Williams 02 May 2021
In reply to Kevster:

Public toilet provision in the UK is utterly woeful, and my personal view is that it would stand up to challenge under disability regulations because people with disabilities like Crohn's are excluded from the use of many public facilities e.g. parks by non-provision or provision only at very limited times.  Furthermore it's also gender discrimination because men have it much easier.

However, it's not hard to find somewhere to hide for the purpose if needs must.  Doing it in front of houses is totally unacceptable.

Kevster 02 May 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

Dont get me started. Same for waste bins/recycling. 

I do agree with you. Even when drunk and stupid you hide round the back of somewhere. 

Maybe I need a bigger little kev. Maybe I'd be less shy, or maybe I have a little more social awareness. 

Neil Williams 02 May 2021

Forgot, also age discrimination because older people tend to have, er, weaker continence.

Can't think of a lot else that discriminates against that many protected characteristics in one go!

In reply to seankenny:

Pissing in the street, in view of houses isn't just a climbing issue. It's just scummy behaviour, and I'm pretty sure still an offence.

Jenny C 02 May 2021
In reply to Kevster:

> ......I'm not sure saying you can use X cafes WC if you ask nice cos that's not really perfect. Tbh.

I was thinking more 'no local public facilities, but X cafe is a good place to meet for breakfast and pre climbing pitstop'.

> Public toilet provision in the UK is utterly woeful, 

I must confess one benefit of driving a van over a car is that it all you need is a shewee/bottle and you have your very own portable toilet, with complete privacy.

Post edited at 22:52
Andy Gamisou 03 May 2021

> Public toilet provision in the UK is utterly woeful

Particularly with the rise of the mobile phone and consequent demise of the BT phone box.

Sean_J 03 May 2021
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

And in the olden days, phone boxes even provided a nice free book of toilet paper.

HannahC 03 May 2021
In reply to Mark Kemball:

We’ve been parking at Portland Bill car park when climbing on the west side. Plenty of parking, not in front of anyone’s house and benefits from public toilets.

Yes it’s adds a bit of the walk up to Blacknor but it’s flat and pleasant. Is this something which could be encouraged more?  

nniff 03 May 2021
In reply to seankenny:

It was behaviour like that, and getting changed in full view of the house (which is set below the road) that contributed to the climbing ban at Craig y Forwen....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...