Polney abseil anchors?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gary Latter 21 Jul 2019

Does anyone know what happened to the abseil anchors on the Scots pines at the top of The Groove & The Creep. Who removed them, and why?

Rab6t 23 Jul 2019
In reply to Gary Latter:

Yes, saw they were away too. One was very close to the recent rockfall (The Creep) area and I assumed it was taken off to avoid loose debris being knocked off. Not sure why the other was removed, Someone has certainly cleaned up the area of the rockfall making it safer.

Mick J B 30 Jul 2019
In reply to Gary Latter:

I was climbing there last week and a local climber explained:

There had been instances of people knocking rocks off as they abseiled down above other climbers.

There had also been an incident with someone falling off one of the narrow paths leading from the top of a climb.

So the safer solution was to remove all the old ab points and install a new well rigged ab down Hairy Gully. This I found works really well.

Although care is still needed on all the paths above the Crag and when climbing down to the top of hairy gully.

Hope that helps.

OP Gary Latter 30 Jul 2019
In reply to Mick J B:

> I was climbing there last week and a local climber explained:

> There had been instances of people knocking rocks off as they abseiled down above other climbers.

> There had also been an incident with someone falling off one of the narrow paths leading from the top of a climb.

> So the safer solution was to remove all the old ab points and install a new well rigged ab down Hairy Gully. This I found works really well.

> Although care is still needed on all the paths above the Crag and when climbing down to the top of hairy gully.

> Hope that helps.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

The abseil from the large Scots pine at the top of Hairy Gully has been in situ for over 30 years; I regularly replace the rope slings/steel screwgates/maillons - the current 11mm static rope & large stainless steel ring was replaced last September.

There has been a sling & maillon at the top of The Creep, one of the lesser travelled routes here, since at least 2008; again regularly replaced. 

In the last year or two, I replaced the rope slings at the top of both The Groove & The Creep with 1 tonne SWL wire slings & large pear-shaped maillons.

> There had also been an incident with someone falling off one of the narrow paths leading from the top of a climb.

> So the safer solution was to remove all the old ab points and install a new well rigged ab down Hairy Gully. This I found works really well.

Your argument doesn't hold up, removing the ab points (not old!) surely makes it more likely for someone to fall off the path, not less? Rather than utilise nearby abseil anchors to the tops of many of the routes, they would have to traverse the "narrow path" for 100m or so & scramble down to the abseil point at the top of Hairy Gully.

henwardian 31 Jul 2019
In reply to Gary Latter:

I think it's pretty clear what is needed here. A good solid stainless steel railing along the clifftop to keep everyone safe. It would be pretty affordable for such a short stretch of only 100m or so and could be bedded directly into the rock for maximum durability. I'd think painting it green would also help it to blend into the woodland background and not become an eyesore.

Post edited at 08:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...